STOP 2 TANGS from FIGHTING

sdogatvman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4" yellow tang and a 3" scopes tang. The Yellow tang over around 6 months has constantly bothered and attacked the scopes tang. I was thinking of adding another tang/surgeonfish who was larger than the yellow tang to hopefully stop the fighting. Any Ideas? Will this work?

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It could work or it could exacerbate the problem. Have you tried anything else to help with the aggression? Increased feeding, adjusting the aquascape, removing the aggressor for a time and then reintroduction, etc.

OP
OP
S

sdogatvman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could work or it could exacerbate the problem. Have you tried anything else to help with the aggression? Increased feeding, adjusting the aquascape, removing the aggressor for a time and then reintroduction, etc.

I have tried increasing the feeding yet it only caused problems with nutrient balance, aquascape is glued together with lots of corals so that is not an option, and i do not have a place to put the aggressor when removed.

reeftank220master

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4" yellow tang and a 3" scopes tang. The Yellow tang over around 6 months has constantly bothered and attacked the scopes tang. I was thinking of adding another tang/surgeonfish who was larger than the yellow tang to hopefully stop the fighting. Any Ideas? Will this work?
Add another tang!

reeftank220master

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170528_145547.jpg

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Tape a mirror to the tank and he should chase himself and leave the other tang alone, this has helped me many times whenever I had a bully in my tank. GL
You know what, i thought this was a crazy concept untill i tryed this 3 years ago. It works great, its worth a shot to anyone trying to acclimate new comers and aggression.

Darbna

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mirror on one side....

puffster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had many tangs congruently, including a purple and a yellow to date. Fish, tangs in particular are aggressive for two major reasons: Territory and food! They have to have space and have equal opportunity of food. Feed, Feed, Feed! When you get them first together, then once the behavior of peace is achieved, you may cut down feeding to-need (BIO-LOAD). Other side of the coin or as Paul Harvey said; "Now, the rest of the story." Fish have personalities or seeing how they are not people, fishonalities. Some as most, will either get along or tolerate their tank-mate(s) and other inhabitants and lead a peaceful tankhood life. Others, are like certain people within a society. They will bully, chase and nip other fish until they are ran into exhaustion until death. It comes down to this when it concern us as aquarist: It is a spin of the wheel as to what fishonality our fish will have when we purchase it. If the fish is truely a bully, it is best to get him/her to an environment that it might integrate better. I cannot emphasize enough the importance of Research and planning, they are the key to this hobby and if the Reverend doesn't mind me saying so. When I was in the NAVY we had rule that what was called the 6-P Rule: Prior Planning Prevents Pee Poor Performance. I still use it to this day as much as I can...especially in this hobby! Good luck my fellow aquarist!

Ernie

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if they're the only two tangs in a tank that large they can and will be very territorial. It seems almost counterintuitive by because they CAN be chased off so easily (and have somewhere else to go with all of that space) and with so few other fish to focus on they often WILL.

Here's an article on understanding and combating tang aggression you may find helpful :)

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/tang-aggression-understanding-and-combating.76/

cjd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2nd, 3rd,4th the mirror idea. Aggressive tang will see his reflection and be like ..oh you want some too. Theory being he'll lose interest in the other and will be preoccupied with his reflection not backing down from a fight.

Sealion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with a yellow and sailfin tangs, added a scopus. The yellow tang was agessive to the scopus for about 2 weeks, then everyone became friends.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 31 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 22.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back