Storing Aquariums in high heat

Walleye34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having a 150 gallon delivered. And I’m not quite ready for it yet. I was going to just rent a storage unit. But I was wondering if that would be bad for the silicone. Located in western Illinois. The temperature has been reaching the mid 90s outside. So I’m sure the temperature in the storage unit would be a lot higher. Thanks

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Above 90 degrees can certainly wear it out because the caulk will dry and crack with high heat, low humidity. I use a bit that dow 111 silicone grease and apply to the seams, this acts as a barrier and it’s reef safe. so just a wipe down with a paper towel and she’s ready when you are.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are temp controlled storage units in most areas. A short duration most likely would have little affect, especially following the advice above. I’ve heard many a nightmare story from those that took down a tank, put it out in the garage, and decided to start it back up again two maybe three years later

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back