Storm Season among us. Power outage readiness!!!

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is getting a little worrisome I was just at the gas station with lines out of the parking lot, water is flying off the shelf, hunker down and stay safe every one!!!
Where are you at?
Im near daytona and bought a genny yesterday just for piece of mind.
Looks like I many not need it now they way the tracks are trending.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you at?
Im near daytona and bought a genny yesterday just for piece of mind.
Looks like I many not need it now they way the tracks are trending.
Tampa Bay area, I have a generator that runs all my fish needs and about 3 or so days worth of fuel, hopefully everything works out for everyone

CaptPatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in fort myers, some gas stations are out of gas, I’ve got generator to run house except AC I’ll just run a stand alone AC in the living room with the tank to keep it temp controlled. Got fuel, basic necessities to last a few days if need be but will pay attention to see where it’s at by Sunday night Monday morning, should know by then if need to board windows.

CaptPatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sarasota county here, no generator, no preparation, just living it out.
That’s pretty much how I went through Irma, luckily was only without power for a couple days, battery backup and bubblers kept tank running and didn’t lose anything. Now I have too many acros to risk losing so have to be prepared

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In Orlando. Our generator is ready to go for a power outage after the storm. During, I have a large ups on each tank. Enough to run a flow pump on low for many hours 5-6 hours.

We’ll see what happens. I’m mentally prepared to lose it all.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s pretty much how I went through Irma, luckily was only without power for a couple days, battery backup and bubblers kept tank running and didn’t lose anything. Now I have too many acros to risk losing so have to be prepared
A quick easy way is get a deep cycle battery and run a small bilge pump as a return pump.
I did that after a house fire for about 10 days.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone be safe in Florida! Make sure to get prepared early. Ian is looking like a very unpredictable storm.
The two major models keep arguing, one pushes west the other pushes east.
dang annoying at this point.

All depends on how far and fast that front comes down, better idea in 24 hours.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Charlotte County - Deep Creek ... 1 Dual Fuel generator 1 - solar generator, 3 battery operated bubblers, 1 solar powered bubbler, back up batteries on both Sicce Wavemakers, a portable AC and water bottles in the freezer.
Hurricane Panels went up yesterday. Picked up 4 squares of sod to make a temporary bathroom for the dogs.
We Got This Realtor GIF by CALIFORNIA ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS®

CaptPatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two major models keep arguing, one pushes west the other pushes east.
dang annoying at this point.

All depends on how far and fast that front comes down, better idea in 24 hours.
Yea initially I was in the bullseye and then it swung to the pan handle and now saying it could track more east again. Hopefully not a redo of Charley.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in fort myers, some gas stations are out of gas, I’ve got generator to run house except AC I’ll just run a stand alone AC in the living room with the tank to keep it temp controlled. Got fuel, basic necessities to last a few days if need be but will pay attention to see where it’s at by Sunday night Monday morning, should know by then if need to board windows.
5 deep at the gas stations here also. Stores ran out of water on Friday, so I got Gatorade. I have 11 gallons filled and ready. Just filled up my 10 gallon RO top off. People are crazy.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon everyone, I wanted to make this thread to give myself and others who live in Florida and other outlying states who are affected by hurricanes and other storms which can leave us without power for days to weeks at a time. I am still newish to the hobby and I haven't had my tank up and running long so I haven't experienced a power outage lasting longer than a few minutes while the tank has been up and running. Anyone who has a good plan of action that will work on the smallest to largest sizes of tanks. I myself have a 25gal lagoon. I already have a bubble box and extra batteries, and frozen bottles of water to help oxygen levels and water temp. Any other tips or tricks to help your aquarium survive is greatly appreciated. Also I understand a generator is the best option probably, but I live in an apartment and don't have storage space for one. Thank you to all who post and happy reefing everyone, stay safe during this storm season.
Get a battery generator, no noise .

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a Goal Zero and just in case solar panels to charge it. Nice little package.

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea initially I was in the bullseye and then it swung to the pan handle and now saying it could track more east again. Hopefully not a redo of Charley.
Yep, hate for anyone to get it but I posted about a week ago looked like charley 2.0.

Hope now son has his first district FB game friday night and they already have had to reschedule one due to rain.
I know that’s a trivial thing in the grand scheme but when your the senior starting QB ya want to play.

CaptPatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a Goal Zero and just in case solar panels to charge it. Nice little package.
I’ve never heard of this, these are pretty sweet, little pricey but sweet, and I’m sure in the next few years prices will come down. The solar panel to charge is cool.

CaptPatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, hate for anyone to get it but I posted about a week ago looked like charley 2.0.

Hope now son has his first district FB game friday night and they already have had to reschedule one due to rain.
I know that’s a trivial thing in the grand scheme but when your the senior starting QB ya want to play.

Yea for sure, completely understandable, a real bummer if they end up getting cancelled. Those are times in your life you can’t get back. Hope they get to play, I can remember high school football and lacrosse and wouldn’t want anyone to miss those experiences.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back