Storm Season among us. Power outage readiness!!!

CaptPatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 deep at the gas stations here also. Stores ran out of water on Friday, so I got Gatorade. I have 11 gallons filled and ready. Just filled up my 10 gallon RO top off. People are crazy.
I’m sure tomorrow is gonna be a s*** show, just had weather channel on and not sounding good.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never heard of this, these are pretty sweet, little pricey but sweet, and I’m sure in the next few years prices will come down. The solar panel to charge is cool.
Yes but there is no noise, no fumes, it’s on stand by near tank. I’m in CA and you never know. Each mp10 is on its own battery backup and I also have battery air stones which have extra power with included usb.
I had borrowed a Honda generator before, noisy and fumes.

CaptPatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but there is no noise, no fumes, it’s on stand by near tank. I’m in CA and you never know. Each mp10 is on its own battery backup and I also have battery air stones which have extra power with included usb.
I had borrowed a Honda generator before, noisy and fumes.
Yea I just went down the goal zero rabbit hole lol, really cool idea that it’s basically self sustaining with including the solar panels and the option for more banks. I like that it can be discharged while it’s charging. Thanks for posting about it.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure tomorrow is gonna be a s*** show, just had weather channel on and not sounding good.
Well, you are going to really hate the overnight shift then. People here in Punta Gorda are having Charlie flashbacks.
Family Guy Hurricane GIF by FOX TV

Oceanis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any battery options which will run an aquarium for 3-4 days? Our neighborhood apparently lost power for 3-4 days last hurricane. Are there any battery products we can buy before it hits this week?
For the record I’m a FL native who just bought his first house, in-land thinking I won’t have do deal with storm surges again like I did before at my family house with Irma and Matthew. Even though the storm surge came and water rose so high out windows looked like inside out aquariums, I hear this neighborhood loses power. How can I keep a small 25G aquarium running 3 days?

Oceanis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the record I’m a FL native who just bought his first house, in-land thinking I won’t have do deal with storm surges again like I did before at my family house with Irma and Matthew. Even though the storm surge came and water rose so high out windows looked like inside out aquariums, I hear this neighborhood loses power. How can I keep a small 25G aquarium running 3 days?
Sorry, meant to say even though at my family house we had giant storm surge power was back on within 24 hours. This new neighborhood uses JEA and apparently they’re really ****. What is a power inverter and where can I buy one?

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco or the LFS should have some battery operated bubblers. So long as you keep it oxygenated, you'll get through. Freeze some RODI ice cubes, doubles as Top Off and keeps the temp down.

Oceanis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petco or the LFS should have some battery operated bubblers. So long as you keep it oxygenated, you'll get through. Freeze some RODI ice cubes, doubles as Top Off and keeps the temp down.
Battery operated bubblers to keep the water oxygenated. Didn’t know that was a thing! Thank you

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of these, works well, back up charge usb sticks
C31F716A-2792-466E-A96E-D2BD578F0E82.jpeg

Oceanis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I don’t really care about the phones and computers and what not - kinda consider it a paid vacation. Ty for the info about the battery oxygenators. I’ve got pictures of seawater on my first floor windows like an inside out aquarium (and I don’t even live near the beach) and fountains of water shooting up through the floors and dripping though the walls! Once the water starts coming it doesn’t stop!

Last edited:

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a battery backup for my 40GB tank. We lost power 2 Saturdays ago due to crazy winds and rain .

We finally broke down and bought a generator. We live in Melbourne FL...on the east coast

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a battery backup for my 40GB tank. We lost power 2 Saturdays ago due to crazy winds and rain .

We finally broke down and bought a generator. We live in Melbourne FL...on the east coast
Ya very well may need it.

Strom tacking more north right now.

I expect some big changes to the track in the next 24 hours.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tampa Bay are here , everyone is going crazy people are flooding the grocery stores and gas stations, with the feel of panic in the air, I worked this morning on the beach and had to go through a police check point they were only letting residents and contractors on the beaches.
They are saying damage is imminent and mass power outages are guaranteed, with rumors of the city of Tampa down town manually shutting down power before the storm even hits! It's going to be intense everyone go to shelter don't be brave its not worth it, it doesn't make a good story if you can't tell it!

MAX_WEB_TROP_ATL2_storm_info_1280x720.jpg

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 143 60.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 27.7%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 64 27.2%
Back