straight to hypo advice needed!

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting in an emperor later this week and have a QT tank currently at 1.010. The goal is to get him into the quarantine tank along with a couple of other fish that are in there. The question is, what is the best way to manage this transition given that the quarantine is already at hypo? I wouldn’t have any issue dripping him down over the course of 24 hours or so, but I would like some advice whether this is advisable.

Have any of you taken a new fish straight into hypo? Or to put it another way what’s the quickest there any of you have adjusted to for hypo salinity for any fish? I have a lot of confidence of how tough emperors are in general but if dripping him slowly would be a bad idea the best I can do is probably up the quarantine by a couple of thousands each day over the next couple days and end up at 1.018 or so by late this week.

Good news is this fish is not being overnighted to me, it’s going to my LFS first.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting in an emperor later this week and have a QT tank currently at 1.010. The goal is to get him into the quarantine tank along with a couple of other fish that are in there. The question is, what is the best way to manage this transition given that the quarantine is already at hypo? I wouldn’t have any issue dripping him down over the course of 24 hours or so, but I would like some advice whether this is advisable.

Have any of you taken a new fish straight into hypo? Or to put it another way what’s the quickest there any of you have adjusted to for hypo salinity for any fish? I have a lot of confidence of how tough emperors are in general but if dripping him slowly would be a bad idea the best I can do is probably up the quarantine by a couple of thousands each day over the next couple days and end up at 1.018 or so by late this week.

Good news is this fish is not being overnighted to me, it’s going to my LFS first.

I worked at an LFS where we kept all fish at Hypo after receiving them. We drip acclimated for about an hour and everything was fine. My understanding is that the transition out of Hypo is more difficult than going to Hypo. I really doubt you will have any issues.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

I do a gradual reduction when going to hypo. Over a period of 48 hours, gradually lower the SG down to 1.009 and monitor PH as it may drop

OP
OP
skyrne_isk

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worked at an LFS where we kept all fish at Hypo after receiving them. We drip acclimated for about an hour and everything was fine. My understanding is that the transition out of Hypo is more difficult than going to Hypo. I really doubt you will have any issues.
Okay, that's reassuring. I can easily run a drip and go over 12-24 hours. And I am with you, the trip back up is a lot slower - letting the kidneys adjust to higher osmotic conditions is much more sensitive than the other way. Thank you!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've dropped fish down fast in the past (in 12 hours), but when dealing with other people's fish, I always suggest at least 48 hours, with at least 6 evenly spaced drops to be safer (grin).

Jay

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 37 82.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.7%
Back