FlashlightFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

I recently acquired 2 banggai cardinalfish which I believe to be a male and female. I’ve only had them home for a few days, but I’ve noticed every once and a while they will do this behavior. One will pause, fold it’s fins over and turn slightly, and then yawn. Occasionally the other will do it too right after almost in response. I was curious if anyone with experience with banggais has seen behavior before and might know what it could mean?

I included a video of the behavior as well as couple pictures of their vents to get a second opinion on their sexes. :)

90AE95B9-3F2C-4484-8CCD-80DBCD21A470.jpeg 48D21CEB-0A24-447C-9525-EC63F4EA86BD.jpeg

Last edited:

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doubtful that it is flukes. The majority of Bangaii are captive bred these days. I dont know why they do this bit it is typical behavior. I have 2 mature breeding pair and I see it often. As for sexing them, at their size if they aren't trying to kill each other its either a pair or 2 females. Based on your pics I'd say a pair.

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back