Strange Behavior on a Kole Tang

hutch2828

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

I usually don't post with issues but I am stumped this time as to what my kole tang is doing. My girlfriend and I have had this tang for about a year and recently moved him into a new tank we set up after moving. He has been in a fish store down here in Louisiana for some months and was just moved back last weekend. Unfortunately last night we noticed him racing around the tank a bit and doing a bit of shuttering while backing down toward the sand with his tail. He only does this next to the glass and usually repetitively in the same spot for a while. I am attaching the video of him doing this so that it can help with diagnosing the problem.

We have a few theories on why he's doing this so far:
  1. Some sort of disease or parasite. Although we trust the LFS he was staying at and are doubtful about parasites, you never know
  2. Showing aggression. Problem with this theory is that he does this by himself and doesn't mind the clownfish (his only tankmate besides a cleaner shrimp)
  3. Along the same lines of aggression, but maybe he is somehow seeing his reflection?
  4. A stomach issue. This is the first tank with sand we have had him in and maybe by picking food and algae off sand he has ingested some.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, he is fighting his reflection. Probably a male. ;)

OP
OP
hutch2828

hutch2828

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. Although now I'm stumped as to how to stop it. Maybe clean the glass less?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep he is fighting his reflection.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 117 74.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back