Strange clown behavior

bruno3047

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a couple of ocellaris clowns in my tank that have been in there from the very beginning. Added as three-quarter inch juveniles together about five years ago. They grew up to always be approximately the same size. I was expecting one to grow larger than the other and hopefully they will eventually mate. This never happened. They grew up always the same size pretty much. In the last year one of them has grown slightly larger than the other. I expected this one to emerge as the female and the smaller one the male. Then hopefully they would start laying eggs. However, tonight a strange thing happened. The smaller one turned the tables on the larger one and was chasing it all over the tank. Aggressively. These were not love taps. It got to be so violent I had to net the little guy and I have I it in one of my large nets dangling in the tank. Has anyone ever seen anything like this where the smaller clown turned the tables and started attacking the larger clown? Because I certainly haven’t. Any thoughts welcomed.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a couple of ocellaris clowns in my tank that have been in there from the very beginning. Added as three-quarter inch juveniles together about five years ago. They grew up to always be approximately the same size. I was expecting one to grow larger than the other and hopefully they will eventually mate. This never happened. They grew up always the same size pretty much. In the last year one of them has grown slightly larger than the other. I expected this one to emerge as the female and the smaller one the male. Then hopefully they would start laying eggs. However, tonight a strange thing happened. The smaller one turned the tables on the larger one and was chasing it all over the tank. Aggressively. These were not love taps. It got to be so violent I had to net the little guy and I have I it in one of my large nets dangling in the tank. Has anyone ever seen anything like this where the smaller clown turned the tables and started attacking the larger clown? Because I certainly haven’t. Any thoughts welcomed.
Sometimes they don’t pair so they’ll switch sex and there will normally be aggression between clowns during a sex change

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back