Clown pair, one died... can I replace?

Jesse Sunday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Hi all!

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

I've had a BioCube 32 setup and running well for over a year now... well, one of my clowns started acting funny and eventually died. (the CuC of bristleworms made him disappear before I could see how/why he passed)

I have left what was the female (larger of the former pair)...

1) Can I get another clown and will they re-pair?

2) If yes, should get a smaller one, or do you think it's OK to get similar sized or larger?

Thanks so much!

OP
OP
Jesse Sunday

Jesse Sunday

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
@Jesse Sunday I'm sorry for your loss. Did the smaller one or the bigger one pass away?
Thank you, that's very kind of you. The kids were pretty upset about it.

It was the smaller of the pair that passed.

He never interacted with either of the three BTAs I have in the tank, but in the last week he was alive, he kept nestling into the Green Star Polyps as if he would a BTA... that's the only change in his behavior that I could see before he just disappeared a week later.

JC Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, that's very kind of you. The kids were pretty upset about it.

It was the smaller of the pair that passed.

He never interacted with either of the three BTAs I have in the tank, but in the last week he was alive, he kept nestling into the Green Star Polyps as if he would a BTA... that's the only change in his behavior that I could see before he just disappeared a week later.

Definitely go for a smaller one again because they are males.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated get a small one. Last week I replaced a male that passed. This is the third time I've had a male pass from different pairs. I like to pick a small one out if a tank full of little ones at a lfs so I'm confident I'll be getting a male. If I see any trying to be dominant (picking on others) I pass on those. I don't like to purchase from a single clown in a tank even if it's small because it could already be transitioning into a female. An acclimation box can help but usually smaller clowns like percs and ocellaris aren't too difficult to pair IME

JC Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jesse Sunday If you are going to shop for a replacement. Check out @NYAquatic. They do a lot of sales, and if you use my personal code (JC15), you will get an additional 15% discount. If you have any questions or concerns, message them on Instagram. Leah is very responsive and will take good care of you!

Just for funs. At least 85% of my livestock has come from NY Aquatic :cool:. If the livestock does not survive to the 14th day from the day of arrival (arrival day is day 1), they will give you store credit. Some fish don't qualify.

KandAReefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had no luck getting my clown to tolerate another once it's mate died. I tried 2 different time. It killed both of the ones I added with in a day. But you never really know how your will react till you try. As anyone in this hobby will yell you no two fish will have the same reaction to a given situation.

LxHowler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done this twice in the last few years in 2 different tanks. Both of mine were alone for a few weeks before I got another partner for them as I wanted to make sure it wasn’t an issue in the tank that caused the deaths

As everyone has already said get a smaller one. Also make sure it’s the same species of clown fish.

I also had a clear breeder box on standby in case they didn’t get along so they could be separated but still see each other even though this want needed either time

stephanjupillat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just replaced the larger female that died with a small male. They are happy as can be. Same subspecies. Now I did choose a large captive bred, which was 1.5” or so, but my tank male is full size at 3.5”, so just choose one young and smaller than what you have.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi all!

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

I've had a BioCube 32 setup and running well for over a year now... well, one of my clowns started acting funny and eventually died. (the CuC of bristleworms made him disappear before I could see how/why he passed)

I have left what was the female (larger of the former pair)...

1) Can I get another clown and will they re-pair?

2) If yes, should get a smaller one, or do you think it's OK to get similar sized or larger?

Thanks so much!
I find it hit and miss. Tried twice and the existing clown would not stop jabbing at new arrival and new ultimately too damaged. I then tried a trio and that worked until one attacked. I then got rid of the clowns and started again with 14 and still have 11.
One jumped 2 yrs ago and one being a breeder pair was sold to a friend who wanted babies to raise

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back