Strange ICP recommendations from ICP-Analysis.com

spicymikey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 400 gal system so I don't realistically try to manage minor and trace elements by doing 20% weekly water changes. I manage them with a 10% monthly slow drip water change, dosing procedures involving Tropic Marin's K/A/C products, ICP testing, and manual adjustments. I've been using Triton and it is worked fine for me.

But, I just did my first test with ICP-Analysis.com. Although the results seem reasonable, their suggested actions seem way off. Fortunately I know better than to follow some of these suggestions but wondering what others have experienced with their reports. Is their reference database corrupted? Maybe I should contact them and give them a heads up. Some suggestions make no sense and even their reports contradict itself.

There are 60 elements they test. Some seem unnecessary, like Au. Report said I have 0.046ppb Gold in my tank. Maybe I should start panning for gold in my tank :) But that's not really the concern. We can safely ignore that result since they recommend 0ppb gold in the tank. Wheww, glad for that. This hobby is expensive enough not having to dose Gold .

But there are other trace elements that you indeed might feel compelled to dose. For example, they show my Cobalt level at 0.6ppb. OK, that could be higher. But then they show a graph suggesting I should raise it to 10ppm! What? And then the graph shows optimal levels around 2ppm (still too high) and anything above 4ppm to high. Wait a minute, in the same report you just told me to bring it to 10ppm. LOL. This is just ALL wrong. Maybe they meant 10ppb. If so, then ok maybe I can go along. But how could they make such an irresponsible mistake like this?

There are many examples like this in the report. Some even stranger. So although the results seem reasonable, beware of these dosing recommendations! Research things on your own and shoot for natural sea water levels for most of these minor and trace elements.

Happy Reefing!

ixpVAEB.png

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 400 gal system so I don't realistically try to manage minor and trace elements by doing 20% weekly water changes. I manage them with a 10% monthly slow drip water change, dosing procedures involving Tropic Marin's K/A/C products, ICP testing, and manual adjustments. I've been using Triton and it is worked fine for me.

But, I just did my first test with ICP-Analysis.com. Although the results seem reasonable, their suggested actions seem way off. Fortunately I know better than to follow some of these suggestions but wondering what others have experienced with their reports. Is their reference database corrupted? Maybe I should contact them and give them a heads up. Some suggestions make no sense and even their reports contradict itself.

There are 60 elements they test. Some seem unnecessary, like Au. Report said I have 0.046ppb Gold in my tank. Maybe I should start panning for gold in my tank :) But that's not really the concern. We can safely ignore that result since they recommend 0ppb gold in the tank. Wheww, glad for that. This hobby is expensive enough not having to dose Gold .

But there are other trace elements that you indeed might feel compelled to dose. For example, they show my Cobalt level at 0.6ppb. OK, that could be higher. But then they show a graph suggesting I should raise it to 10ppm! What? And then the graph shows optimal levels around 2ppm (still too high) and anything above 4ppm to high. Wait a minute, in the same report you just told me to bring it to 10ppm. LOL. This is just ALL wrong. Maybe they meant 10ppb. If so, then ok maybe I can go along. But how could they make such an irresponsible mistake like this?

There are many examples like this in the report. Some even stranger. So although the results seem reasonable, beware of these dosing recommendations! Research things on your own and shoot for natural sea water levels for most of these minor and trace elements.

Happy Reefing!

ixpVAEB.png
I'm in a similar position as my tests are way off. The first one I posted was "the worst report" someone had seen, which always what I wanted to hear. I received 3 more results yesterday and am hoping someone here can help with the interpretation. I'm missing a 4th sample that I sent at the same time. I'm not very pleased at the moment.

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a few icp analysis test for the last year, basically cause it was cheap..guess I got what I paid for…went the route the last few times with triton and ati and let me tell you it’s night and day…I won’t be doing icp analysis in the future

OP
OP
spicymikey

spicymikey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a few icp analysis test for the last year, basically cause it was cheap..guess I got what I paid for…went the route the last few times with triton and ati and let me tell you it’s night and day…I won’t be doing icp analysis in the future
The results actually seemed reasonable and about what I expected based on previous tests from Triton ICP. It was the recommendations section that was crazy. I actually sent them an email today and they responded already. That was surprising. He agreed that they're definitely is something wrong. Here was their response

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220219-180026_Outlook.jpg
    Screenshot_20220219-180026_Outlook.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 65

Rookums Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The results actually seemed reasonable and about what I expected based on previous tests from Triton ICP. It was the recommendations section that was crazy. I actually sent them an email today and they responded already. That was surprising. He agreed that they're definitely is something wrong. Here was their response
I've been having issues with them for a month. First test was so backwards, then they mislabeled all my tests and lost one. Not a happy camper!

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s two other decent tests on the market. I’d switch to one of those. ;)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Off by a factor of 1,000? No problem, let's keep selling the product.

OP
OP
spicymikey

spicymikey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off by a factor of 1,000? No problem, let's keep selling the product.
Yea crazy mistake to have published on a website. The good news is that when I clicked on the recommended dosing after selecting my preferred source elements (I chose ATI), the recommended dosing was correct and the stated target value was also correct. So it was just this visual aid graph that was all wrong. I didn't realize that until after I opened this thread.

The other good news is I checked their website today and it looks like they updated their software and fixed the display issues. My tested numbers all seemed reasonable and I suspect they are as close to accurate as Triton or ATI, but with the benefit of it being much less expensive.

New graph

o4LkMAS.png gRT9yau.png

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back