Strange Smell from my top off container?

OnPointCorals

Premier Aquaculture SPS Boutique
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My procedure is to fill a 20 gallon rubbermaid food grade barrel and it stays sealed without water movement or heat for my ATO. It will roughly last me 1 1/2 weeks before it is refilled again.

It has periodically smelled as best I can describe it Cat Pee. I have in the past thoroughly cleaned the barrel with bleach, but over time the smell always comes back. My RO/DI is regularly maintained and my water is always 0 TDS.

Has Anyone ever experienced this or have more info for me?

Thanks.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brute barrels that I use for water change will do this if I don't let them air dry uncovered. I have used them smelling like that as the smell goes away once water is added. I have gotten into the habit of leaving the covers off if they are empty.

77railer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My procedure is to fill a 20 gallon rubbermaid food grade barrel and it stays sealed without water movement or heat for my ATO. It will roughly last me 1 1/2 weeks before it is refilled again.

It has periodically smelled as best I can describe it Cat Pee. I have in the past thoroughly cleaned the barrel with bleach, but over time the smell always comes back. My RO/DI is regularly maintained and my water is always 0 TDS.

Has Anyone ever experienced this or have more info for me?

Thanks.
I would be willing to bet that if you put a powerhead in there the smell would go away.

OP
OP
OnPointCorals

OnPointCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My brute barrels that I use for water change will do this if I don't let them air dry uncovered. I have used them smelling like that as the smell goes away once water is added. I have gotten into the habit of leaving the covers off if they are empty.

Thanks for the response. The thing is it's never "empty" as I use the barrel ongoing indefinitely for a ATO reservoir. Once it's down to a few inches above the Maxijet 400 I refill it.
Yes I use it smelling like this always, this is nothing new been happening for years now. It's smells just like cat tick. I have tested it for ammonia and it comes back 0.

I would be willing to bet that if you put a powerhead in there the smell would go away.

You think so? Most places I read says to leave it covered and not aerated should be fine. Hmm thanks.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had any smell issue, but in general, if it was 0 ppm tds going in, I’d ignore it. It is a not uncommon occurrance and I don’t think it can make the water unusable.

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you are observing comes up now and again in the forums: https://www.reef2reef.com/search/3476002/?q=cat+pee&o=relevance

There's more than one post describing the smell of cyanobacteria as cat pee/vomit - do you notice any slimy coating on the inside of your container or on any return pump/plumbing that sit in the container? I used to have a problem with bacterial slime in my R/O water container (a Brute trashcan) so I gave it a good cleaning, and whenever the water level got low I'd splash around some hydrogen peroxide in it before refilling. It cleared up after a while and I haven't yet had a recurrence.

OP
OP
OnPointCorals

OnPointCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well nice to know I’m not alone. I haven’t really been concerned it’s been happening for a long time.
Every 3 months or so I clean it out with bleach and let it dry in the sun. Usually lasts smelling fresh for another month then back to smelling.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back