Strange white patch on purple tang

samuel venner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I,ve had my purple tang for around 2-3 months at this point and he’s never had any markings out of the ordinary on his skin before.

around a week or so ago he has shown a weird white patch in front of his rear fin on both sides of his body.

no other fish are showing any discolouration or patches at this point.

the only thing I can note is the yellow tang is being more aggressive than normal at the moment towards him and the white patch would appear to be in the location he likes to smack with his barb. There’s no clear damage from the fights on his body.

anyone think it’s something more serious from the photos ??

ps ignore the sand bed algae. Just had a fight with dinos

5E0A933A-9A0A-4623-A59E-CB23CE5E9C80.jpeg 9B376FB9-B0B5-40C8-B043-2C156DA99AE3.jpeg 2DAFAD61-49EB-444D-8C0C-2636EB89C59E.jpeg D66D0D28-004E-4C2F-A9E5-613448C54568.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
HI, nothing really stands out ,but keep a close eye out for anything ,come back here if any signs show up.
try feeding more ,2 seperate clips, possibly smaller amounts couple times a day.
and then there is also the mirror trick,
tape a mirror to the glass ,on side corner of tank, aggressor will normally wear itself out fighting mirror.
moving some rocks around changing scape can sometimes alleviate aggression also.

OP
OP
S

samuel venner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI, nothing really stands out ,but keep a close eye out for anything ,come back here if any signs show up.
try feeding more ,2 seperate clips, possibly smaller amounts couple times a day.
and then there is also the mirror trick,
tape a mirror to the glass ,on side corner of tank, aggressor will normally wear itself out fighting mirror.
moving some rocks around changing scape can sometimes alleviate aggression also.
I will keep an eye out many thanks just wanted to make sure it wasn’t anything disease or parasite related.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will keep an eye out many thanks just wanted to make sure it wasn’t anything disease or parasite related.
Does the spot show under white light? I have difficulty seeing anything under blue lights, so a pic or video under white light would help/

Jay

Ultra Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It may just be his stress spots. I can’t tell from your pic but I can tell you that purple tangs can get weird white patches in the same location when they are stressed.

I’ve had one for about 7 years and have seen it a few times, mostly when he started to show some aggression to a new fish.They were completely gone within hours.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back