Stranger Danger! How do you feel about people in your house?

Do you allow strangers into your home for aquarium related activities?

• Yes

Votes: 174 25.6%
  • No

Votes: 308 45.3%
  • Depends (please explain)

Votes: 192 28.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 0.9%

• Total voters

eja99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ll meet people outside my house and I’ve only been doing this during the pandemic. I usually meet up at a public place or LFS.

Many years ago, I had a good reefing buddy who often let people in his house. One day the police stopped by his house and let him know they arrested a suspected burglar in his neighborhood and my buddies’ address was programmed into this guy’s GPS unit.

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live in NYC. Don’t own a gun. Not afraid. Feel the risk is very minimal. Do allow strangers inside, as long as they don’t creep me out.
Would probably be/feel more cautious if I lived in a more remote area. Would also feel more inclined to own a firearm. Would still allow strangers in my home.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prior to COVID I had no issues letting a 'stranger' in to see the tank …. not like somebody was randomly showing up anyhow; all visits were prearranged. Post COVID, probably nobody would want to come in even if I would let them. It's back to the late night, shady parking lot exchanges LOL

Rogueaquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife wouldn’t allow anyone into my home due to the current situation. I let my longtime friend come in as I replaced my RODI setup. I was having trouble with getting the TDS lower than my old set up. I had to let him in. I had to sell my wife so hard for that one.

it depends on the situation but currently due to this pandemic I don’t let anyone in I don’t know into my home.

GrapevineReefs

Chalices & Carnations
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the situation. If the person is a stranger from, let’s say, one of my Craigslist adds. Then the first meeting will be in public and if the vibe is right I would probably be inclined to invite the person to view my fish room in person to pick things out as the OP stated MOST of us love to share our success and sometimes failures with like minded Individuals

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Before covid-19, I welcomed people in to my home to buy and sell stuff. Or just for show and advice.
But until this is over, no one can enter my house, and I will not go into someone else's house.
Period.

Nhjmc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would! I am too trusting. I live in NH and you can trust people around here! (Most people) that is what I love about small town living. Not saying it can't happen but feel pretty safe up here in New England. Any chance I get to show off my tank I do!

just4plaay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've hosted meetings at my house with up to 70 people. Never had an issue with reefers. They are welcome anytime.

Doglips56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reefing hobby is one of those things that MOST of us like to share with others. The problem is that many of our "regular" friends don't understand the hobby and really can't appreciate it like another hobbyist can. Reefing also involves being able to grow corals and with that comes the opportunity to sell frags to people....strangers. Many of these strangers will become local hobby friends but at first they are still strangers coming to your home to see your tank or buy something! Let's talk about that today!

1. How comfortable are you with allowing a stranger in your home to look at your aquarium or to buy things?
The only “strangers” I allow in my home are supporting members of my local reef club (Atlanta Reef Club)

2. Have you ever made a life long friend meeting a stranger this way?

Yes, a few actually. Friends and mentors. Couldn’t do this without them
3. Do you have any horror stories?
Nope!! And hope I never do! Fellow reefers in general seem to be a pretty nice bunch of people.

jk_s124

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m cool with meeting fellow reefers in my home. It’s nice to make the connections. I also want others in the hobby to know and trust me. The more people I know locally the more readily available support I have and vice versa. Even if it’s just someone coming over to buy frags. A lot of times those people are newbies that might benefit from finding someone who can at least try to give some help and advice.

Khoi_La

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sold 2 corals for 2 different people at my place. Always ended up with "i dropped my wallet at your house". Im glad i have a camera installed. Never again

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m cool with meeting fellow reefers in my home. It’s nice to make the connections. I also want others in the hobby to know and trust me. The more people I know locally the more readily available support I have and vice versa. Even if it’s just someone coming over to buy frags. A lot of times those people are newbies that might benefit from finding someone who can at least try to give some help and advice.
or eat your delicious homemade pizza!

a4edwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was a teen I had a what I thought was a friend come inside my house and steal. I found out from other people what he had done. From that point I don’t like to bring anybody into my house.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 36.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back