Strategy for moving tank

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next weekend I will be moving my 20 gallon tank into our new house. I have 5 fish and a fair amount of coral. Once I break the tank down, I’m going to repaint the stand with vinyl paint (quicker drying). The plan is to have one or two rocks per bucket with as much of the coral attached as possible. I figure it won’t be in the bucket for more than 8-10 hours. In the meantime, I’ll also have a fresh 20 gallons of saltwater mixed up for when everything is set back up. Anything else I should consider or do different?

I had also thought about buying a cheap 20 gallon tank and sticking a heater, powerhead and my light over it and putting most of the coral in there overnight (without rock) while the rest of the tank settles but that seems like it may create more stress on the coral and headaches for me.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Next weekend I will be moving my 20 gallon tank into our new house. I have 5 fish and a fair amount of coral. Once I break the tank down, I’m going to repaint the stand with vinyl paint (quicker drying). The plan is to have one or two rocks per bucket with as much of the coral attached as possible. I figure it won’t be in the bucket for more than 8-10 hours. In the meantime, I’ll also have a fresh 20 gallons of saltwater mixed up for when everything is set back up. Anything else I should consider or do different?

I had also thought about buying a cheap 20 gallon tank and sticking a heater, powerhead and my light over it and putting most of the coral in there overnight (without rock) while the rest of the tank settles but that seems like it may create more stress on the coral and headaches for me.
I would reconsider. drain the tank - to 50% - take if off the stand - and do the painting before you leave
Keep all of your current stuff - in the tank - with new water - put it on a counter. So there is really no change - than the water change. (so you can lift the tank) - OR - just drain 80 percent out - and put the same water back in - after you lift the tank off the stand.

In any case - paint the stand - do all that before the move.

Just saying - keep the time the tank is 'upset' - at the minimum time. Do not waste time doing repairs.

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would reconsider. drain the tank - to 50% - take if off the stand - and do the painting before you leave
Keep all of your current stuff - in the tank - with new water - put it on a counter. So there is really no change - than the water change. (so you can lift the tank) - OR - just drain 80 percent out - and put the same water back in - after you lift the tank off the stand.

In any case - paint the stand - do all that before the move.

Just saying - keep the time the tank is 'upset' - at the minimum time. Do not waste time doing repairs.
My main concern is the fumes from the paint and the fact the tank is on carpet right now so it will be difficult to paint

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If it was me, I would put everything in 5-gallon buckets. Make the move and put everything back asap. Since you want to do some changes to the tank itself, I would get a 20g brute can to keep everything in while you work on the tank itself. Your existing heater and a powerhead will suffice while you do this. no need for lights for that short a period. Try and save as much of the water as you can. 3 5g buckets should be fine. While you have it torn apart, rinse your sand thoroughly, You will be SHOCKED how dirty it is! Make some extra fresh RODI water for the final sand rinse while you can.

When the paint is dry, put it all back together and top off with your fresh saltwater. and replace your rocks and stock. Should be seamless.

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was me, I would put everything in 5-gallon buckets. Make the move and put everything back asap. Since you want to do some changes to the tank itself, I would get a 20g brute can to keep everything in while you work on the tank itself. Your existing heater and a powerhead will suffice while you do this. no need for lights for that short a period. Try and save as much of the water as you can. 3 5g buckets should be fine. While you have it torn apart, rinse your sand thoroughly, You will be SHOCKED how dirty it is! Make some extra fresh RODI water for the final sand rinse while you can.

When the paint is dry, put it all back together and top off with your fresh saltwater. and replace your rocks and stock. Should be seamless.
Won’t rinsing out the sand drop my nutrients and bacteria?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good lord... I wrote it and it looks confusing even to me!!!

Step 1. Remove rocks and corals to a 5 gallon bucket filled with tank water.

Step 2: Remove fish to 5 gallon bucket filled with tank water.

Step 3 fill a 5 gallon bucket with tank water.

Step 4: Drain all remaining water and discard.

Step 5: Remove sand to a bucket.

Step 6, move everything tank related immediately to new location.

Step 7, Put contents of buckets from Steps 1-3 into a 20g Brute can and add heater and wave maker.

After that you can relax... Work on the tank, get it all set up, clean the sand and reassemble at your leisure.

The hardest part is getting the livestock out, moved and into a temporary "home" without investing in a dozen heaters and powerheads to do it.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Won’t rinsing out the sand drop my nutrients and bacteria?
No.

The sand holds very tittle of the nitrifying bacteria. Its the ROCKS you need to worry about.

The sand is filled with all of the detritus that your tank has been producing since the day you set it up. The filters get a lot, but the rest goes to the sand.

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No.

The sand holds very tittle of the nitrifying bacteria. Its the ROCKS you need to worry about.

The sand is filled with all of the detritus that your tank has been producing since the day you set it up. The filters get a lot, but the rest goes to the sand.
Good to know. I may just get a 20g tank instead of a brute can but I think I’ll go with that plan instead

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. I may just get a 20g tank instead of a brute can but I think I’ll go with that plan instead

OK, if you are going to get an identical tank, why not paint THAT one? You can do that ahead of the move and heave it ready on moving day! Then you can replace everything into the new and prepared tank straight off. The sand can be added after the rocks and fish are in the tank. (That part will take a couple hours and I am sure you will have better things to do that day... the wife is going to want her bed that night lol)

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, if you are going to get an identical tank, why not paint THAT one? You can do that ahead of the move and heave it ready on moving day! Then you can replace everything into the new and prepared tank straight off. The sand can be added after the rocks and fish are in the tank. (That part will take a couple hours and I am sure you will have better things to do that day... the wife is going to want her bed that night lol)
Oh no I’m painting the stand not the tank haha

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no I’m painting the stand not the tank haha

Ok... well if thats the case, I would go with the brute can as it will be much more beneficial to you in the future. Think mixing can, collection can, waste can, ect ect. If you get the wheeled dolly they make for them it is worth its weight in gold down the line.

What good is a 20 tank unless you want to set up a QT later?

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put up a Craigslist post calling your tank high end merchandise and watch a roving gang of hoodlums take it away for you.

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok... well if thats the case, I would go with the brute can as it will be much more beneficial to you in the future. Think mixing can, collection can, waste can, ect ect. If you get the wheeled dolly they make for them it is worth its weight in gold down the line.

What good is a 20 tank unless you want to set up a QT later?
I was going to use it for either a frag tank or mixing tank. I prefer glass over garbage cans

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My main concern is the fumes from the paint and the fact the tank is on carpet right now so it will be difficult to paint
Sorry. I didnt mean paint the stand in presence of the tank (though - just painted our entire basement with no issues) - I meant - Put your tank on a counter (its 20 gallon - not 2000) -away from the painting. Keep the filtration. Paint your stand. It will be fine. IMHO - The problem will be paranoia and over 'changing things' - to avoid potential problems. Keep windows open etc. Its a small tank. Move it to a different room when you paint the stand. Just MHO. I think you risk many more problems moving everything etc - Just take your tank drain 80 percent of the water - move it to another room - add back the water and whatever filtration you had - paint your stand etc etc. And move it back. Your animals will be find IMHO.

Lets picture this. January 1 - its sunny and calm on the reef. January 2 - A monsoon hits the reef. Its cloudy for 4 days - There will be no damage.

OP
OP
MONTANTK

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry. I didnt mean paint the stand in presence of the tank (though - just painted our entire basement with no issues) - I meant - Put your tank on a counter (its 20 gallon - not 2000) -away from the painting. Keep the filtration. Paint your stand. It will be fine. IMHO - The problem will be paranoia and over 'changing things' - to avoid potential problems. Keep windows open etc. Its a small tank. Move it to a different room when you paint the stand. Just MHO. I think you risk many more problems moving everything etc - Just take your tank drain 80 percent of the water - move it to another room - add back the water and whatever filtration you had - paint your stand etc etc. And move it back. Your animals will be find IMHO.

Lets picture this. January 1 - its sunny and calm on the reef. January 2 - A monsoon hits the reef. Its cloudy for 4 days - There will be no damage.
Hmmm that’s actually not a bad idea

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back