Stray Voltage and Current - Help

sucker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what I got in my tank

Total 34.9V and 0.026mA

How do I get rid of it? I am using GFCI outlet and I remember someone said do not use ground probe.
Any advise would be appreciated

Thank you

tjgr34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to suggest a grounding probe. Do you remember why people say not to use them?

OP
OP
S

sucker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How bad is 35V for the critters? and I don't know ground probe will totally fix the problem

OP
OP
S

sucker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to suggest a grounding probe. Do you remember why people say not to use them?
grounding probe will guarantee an electrical current flow in aquarium and may induce erratic behavior or disease in fish.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A grounding probe is not the solution. That will create current and it's current that kills. You need to find that piece of equipment that is leaking voltage and change it out. Start unplugging one at a time until you find the guilty party.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are different type of electrical issues.

One is an actual current path from an exposed hot wire. If you have everything on a GFCI and use a ground probe, the GFCI will trip and tell you you have a problem and what is causing it. I think the combination of the two is best.

A second type of observable voltage is induced in the salt water by nearby charges. These can be outside the tank. These will not usually trip a GFCI with or without a ground probe, and are a lesser concern, at least from a human safety perspective.

VelasCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of tanks in the store are grounded. Also I've found stray voltage with powerheads and heaters. Just pulled a powerhead that gave me a shock once I picked it up.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One is an actual current path from an exposed hot wire. If you have everything on a GFCI and use a ground probe, the GFCI will trip and tell you you have a problem and what is causing it. I think the combination of the two is best.

Randy is correct.
(Master electrician 40years)

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
False! If the ground probe is plugged into a functioning Gfci outlet any voltage to ground, including the ground probe would trip the gfci GFCI, meaning Ground Fault Circuit Interupter.
grounding probe will guarantee an electrical current flow in aquarium and may induce erratic behavior or disease in fish.

OP
OP
S

sucker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my equipments got leak voltage,
Skimmer 10V
Heater 5V
Pump return 8V
ATO 4V
Vortech Power head (2x) 5V
Is it normal or I need to replace all of my equipments. Fishs and corals look happy. What will be the best solution here?
Thank you all

Last edited:

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
False! If the ground probe is plugged into a functioning Gfci outlet any voltage to ground, including the ground probe would trip the gfci GFCI, meaning Ground Fault Circuit Interupter.

What sucker is saying, since many have only a ground probe, is that the probe completes the circuit and therefore you now have current. Without the grounding probe (and considering no other ground), you only have voltage (with no current).

Bottom line, having a probe only protects you, but makes detection of faulty equipment undetectable until you start to notice your aquarium life starting to respond.

With a probe and GFCI, it protects both human and aquarium life, but could turn off your tank at the slightest burp of electricity.

Personally I prefer no probes/GFI's and appreciate that tingle I fell, now knowing I have faulty equipment.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of my equipments got leak voltage,
Skimmer 10V
Heater 5V
Pump return 8V
ATO 4V
Vortech Power head (2x) 5V
Is it normal or I need to replace all of my equipments. Fishs and corals look happy. What will be the best solution here?
Thank you all

I don't think that qualifies as a true leak, which involves electrons leaving the electric supply and entering the aquarium water. That looks like induced voltage to me. It's a different issue, and not uncommon and not possible to prevent unless you put shielding around every electric motor and power line.

It comes about because the charged ions in seawater respond to electric fields. Put a positively charged object near the glass of your tank and the negatively charged ions move a bit closer and the positively charged ions move away a bit. That then causes an observable charge in the water.

Every electric wire has such fields around it, as do lights, motors, heaters, etc.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that qualifies as a true leak, which involves electrons leaving the electric supply and entering the aquarium water. That looks like induced voltage to me. It's a different issue, and not uncommon and not possible to prevent unless you put shielding around every electric motor and power line.

Correct again

OP
OP
S

sucker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It comes about because the charged ions in seawater respond to electric fields. Put a positively charged object near the glass of your tank and the negatively charged ions move a bit closer and the positively charged ions move away a bit. That then causes an observable charge in the water.

Every electric wire has such fields around it, as do lights, motors, heaters, etc.
Thanks Randy
Do you think i should install a ground probe or just leave it like that

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ground probe + GFCI = best. Though, to be honest, my probe is so coated in coralline that I doubt its doing much :(

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you need a ground probe which is there to save your life. Forget the induced voltage which will always be less than 108 volts. If it is 108 volts or higher, that is a short and if you put your hand in the water it will throw you across the room which has happened to me many times before GFCIs were invented. Put in a ground probe for your own good. I do not like to go on these threads because of all the opinions and arguments from some people who don't understand electricity.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that a ground probe is useful for human health. I have no idea if it helps with fish health with induced voltage, but I'd guess it makes no difference. It won't prevent induced voltages on the other side of the tank.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 88 42.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 103 49.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 3.3%
Back