Stray Voltage: Finnex Heaters..

Mirkus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do all Finnex titanium heaters leak voltage into tank? I had one for the longest time that leaked. Went to another brand of heater, no voltage leak. I picked up a brand new finnex heater (I love the form factor) and it leaks too. I put my hands into the water with no shoes on and get a nice tingle.

amps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used them exclusively for 5 years now and never noticed any particular problem with voltage.

I have felt that tingle though. I've narrowed it down to having just cut/bit a nail and being in the vicinity of a powerhead. The induced current from the powerheads is just strong enough that I can feel it through the small cut or thin skin.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tested with a volt meter? You could add a ground probe to your system. But I thought titanium heaters had a ground probe built in.

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought ground probes were bad news. I bought one years ago and never used. yes, I tested with voltmeter with old heater.
Only if you have them plugged into a gfci bc then it would trip the outlet. But to have a ground in your sump to pick up any stray voltage Is a benefit

ross0201

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just discovered that both of my Finnex titanium heaters leak around 7 volts.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am done with Finnex after a finally trying to buy a quality heater. It lasted about 3 months before I started noticing fish acting erratic and feeling tingles. Leaked around 30V and gave me a nasty shock. Ground and GFCI added the next day.

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am done with Finnex after a finally trying to buy a quality heater. It lasted about 3 months before I started noticing fish acting erratic and feeling tingles. Leaked around 30V and gave me a nasty shock. Ground and GFCI added the next day.
WHich did you end up buying?

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in the hobby for a long while and have not had a heater issue in probably decades by following these two protocalls. Hope it's helpful

1- I only use Eheim heaters. Not saying other brands are not good, but these have been working for me for a long time, and are relatively inexpensive. It's cost effective to replace them every two years or so at their price point. So I do just that and relegate old ones to mixing buckets, QT or just toss them at that point

2- If possible, I keep the power cords and top inch of all heaters out of the water. I've never done this with FW tanks, but my SW tanks always seemed to be harder on submersible heaters. I usually place them in the sump at an angle and use a zip tie if needed to hold in place.

Overkill? Maybe, but most on this forum were not born yet the last time I had a heater cook a tank, fail, or cause a stray voltage issue....

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been in the hobby for a long while and have not had a heater issue in probably decades by following these two protocalls. Hope it's helpful

1- I only use Eheim heaters. Not saying other brands are not good, but these have been working for me for a long time, and are relatively inexpensive. It's cost effective to replace them every two years or so at their price point, so I do just that and relegate old ones to mixing buckets, QT or just toss them at that point

2- If possible, I keep the power cords and top inch of all heaters out of the water. I've never done this with FW tanks, but my SW tanks always seemed to be harder on submersible heaters. Usually place them in the sump at an angle and use a zip tie if needed to hold in place.

Overkill? Maybe, but most on this forum were not born yet the last time I had a heater cook a tank, fail, or cause a stray voltage issue....

So you have the top inch or so of the heater outside of the water, how do you mount it? Plastic cannot touch the bottom portion where it gets hot right?

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WHich did you end up buying?
This morning I ordered a Jaeger Trutemp but I am trying out a cobalt neotherm. My other tank I have an Aqueon Preset and an unknown (scary I know) Chinese 100W I use as a backup. Honestly I have had far less problems with the Aqueon Preset heaters than anything else. I run them on backups on all of my tanks and have never had an issue with them but they only get to 78.

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you have the top inch or so of the heater outside of the water, how do you mount it? Plastic cannot touch the bottom portion where it gets hot right?

In an AIO I just stand it up in a chamber with the top out a bit.

In sump, if I can't stand it up I just lean it with a zip tie if needed to hold in place, a tiny bit of the heater bottom resting on a glass or acrylic sump bottom is fine.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back