stray voltage

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just figured out I had current going into my system from a powerstrip nothing dangerous to me as I thought it was just static but found out otherwise after running a voltage meter Im wandering if this was the cause to some of my sps problems anyone else delt with this?

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you measure voltage or current (amps)? If you register a flow of current through the system it could cause some problems with the corals. If it's simply voltage, this is normal. Voltage is only the potential for electricity to flow, and is found everywhere. I once read there is a 300V difference from your head to your feet. If there is current flowing be careful with it. It only takes 0.1 amps to kill a person. It's unlikely to kill a person, but still is possible. I'd imagine if it can kill a human it can probably toast a coral.

OP
OP
reefboy

reefboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it was a slite tingler lol nothing painful but enough to get me looking lol and defenatly not normal.And it was a fluke meter it dosnt show me anything other then if somthings hot by the tip turning red with a light a very handy tool.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was under the impression that stray voltage does not bother corals or fish because they are not grounded???

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.0%
Back