Stray voltage?

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small cut on my thumb. When I only stick my thumb in the tank I feel a slight burn. When I stick my whole hand in the tank I feel nothing. Stray voltage? Why do I only feel something when I only stick my thumb with the cut?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OIP.jpg

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can test for it if you have a multimeter. Set to AC, one probe in the water, other in the ground of an outlet.

Weird that it burns just the thumb but not the whole hand. Slightest cut or scrape on my hand and it burns like it's taco Tuesday.

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can test for it if you have a multimeter. Set to AC, one probe in the water, other in the ground of an outlet.

Weird that it burns just the thumb but not the whole hand. Slightest cut or scrape on my hand and it burns like it's taco Tuesday.
I can’t figure it out either found the post above of the same think happening

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Stray voltage doesn't typically burn, that would be caused more by the salt. Stray voltage would feel more like a tingling electric type sensation like when you plug something into the outlet with wet hands. I have put cuts into my tank countless times and it does burn, there was no stray voltage going on in my situation.

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stray voltage doesn't typically burn, that would be caused more by the salt. Stray voltage would feel more like a tingling electric type sensation like when you plug something into the outlet with wet hands. I have put cuts into my tank countless times and it does burn, there was no stray voltage going on in my situation.
If there is any current in the tank how do I proceed? Do you recommend one of those readers or is this common? The odd thing is I only feel it when I put my thumb in the water. When I put my hand with the thumb in the water I don’t feel anything

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is a device leaking stray voltage into your tank then you want to remove the offending device. You never want to live with stray voltage, but I am not convinced that is what you have. You might be manipulating your thumb in a way that is opening the cut when you only put that in the tank vs your entire arm. Burning is not a sign of electricity, it would be more of a tingling/jolt type sensation.

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is a device leaking stray voltage into your tank then you want to remove the offending device. You never want to live with stray voltage, but I am not convinced that is what you have. You might be manipulating your thumb in a way that is opening the cut when you only put that in the tank vs your entire arm. Burning is not a sign of electricity, it would be more of a tingling/jolt type sensation.
I know that is what I thought too that I was closing the cut somehow. If there is current in the tank how would I proceed do I need one of those grounding probes. I tired to isolate it but may have been moving too fast thought I had found the device but then would feel it again maybe building up potential. I understand electricity on a textbook level but not firsthand

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using your finger as the test then you won't be able to prove anything.

Taken from another user,
"Using a multimeter/VOM set to AC Volts, put one probe in the water and the second on a good ground. I use either the ground plug in an outlet or the little screw on the cover plate of the outlet. That's it".

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get cut and scrapped a lot but this was something different than the salt in a wound burn this felt different and for some reason thought of electricity I was also barefoot and just read that this is something you should not do that you should always were shoes with rubber soles

OP
OP
Thespammailaccount

Thespammailaccount

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using your finger as the test then you won't be able to prove anything.

Taken from another user,
"Using a multimeter/VOM set to AC Volts, put one probe in the water and the second on a good ground. I use either the ground plug in an outlet or the little screw on the cover plate of the outlet. That's it".
So if using one of these I would put one end in the tank and one on a good ground but what is a ground plug in an outlet? Or can I just attach this second end to the screw that holds the cover plate to the outlet?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back