Stressed yellow watchman goby help

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gut says aggression, too. I just went through something very similar w/my FW puffers. The 3 grew up together in their current tank and were fine for like a year, but now the male is mature and big, and he's a bully. Almost killed one of the females, and it came to a head when she was behaving similarly to how you describe. I had to put her in an isolation box where she got better w/in a month. Then I let her out and put the bully in the box for a couple weeks. Rescaped the tank the same day I let him out, and now we'll see. Fully prepared for needing to rehome him or the females tho b/c he thinks the whole tank is his.

I would try to stake it out and see if you can catch any aggression towards the watchman.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gut says aggression, too. I just went through something very similar w/my FW puffers. The 3 grew up together in their current tank and were fine for like a year, but now the male is mature and big, and he's a bully. Almost killed one of the females, and it came to a head when she was behaving similarly to how you describe. I had to put her in an isolation box where she got better w/in a month. Then I let her out and put the bully in the box for a couple weeks. Rescaped the tank the same day I let him out, and now we'll see. Fully prepared for needing to rehome him or the females tho b/c he thinks the whole tank is his.

I would try to stake it out and see if you can catch any aggression towards the watchman.
I still agree with this. Can't see any signs of illness and no other fish are at the top of the tank. Mine barely ever leaves the rock work. Thinking it's looking for a place to hide.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still agree with this. Can't see any signs of illness and no other fish are at the top of the tank. Mine barely ever leaves the rock work. Thinking it's looking for a place to hide.
He had a spot for a month in the rocks all by himself in the sand. Would come out to eat and go back in. Seemed completely normal.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If he doesn't improve in 24 hours I'm going to take him back to my LFS.

I have not seen one fish flash at him or even look at him up close in a month.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys think my coral banded shrimp might be bothering him at night?

He hasn't hurt any fish in the tank since I got him 7 months ago but he stalks at night for food scraps and microfauna.

The YWG is good size though at least 3 inches.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess there could be intimidation occurring without obvious signs of aggression like chasing or fin nipping? But I don't even see a fish flash him.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess there could be intimidation occurring without obvious signs of aggression like chasing or fin nipping? But I don't even see a fish flash him.
Would have to record the tank while not around. Fish behave while we watch them.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 wrasses have been in the tank for 6 months with no issues. 6 line added about 2 months ago and does not bother anyone. He just hunts pods all day.
5 wrasses in a larger tank is alright but I don’t think 5 wrasses WITH other fish in the 65g would be alright. There would be some aggression issues, especially from the six line.
Do you guys think my coral banded shrimp might be bothering him at night?

He hasn't hurt any fish in the tank since I got him 7 months ago but he stalks at night for food scraps and microfauna.

The YWG is good size though at least 3 inches.
1 month is long enough to establish a home, I still think it’s aggression from the six line. An easy way it out your phone on record for 30-45 minutes, pointing towards the tank in the day then leave the room with the fish in. Fish behave abnormally when others are in the room (If I had to guess, Survival instincts).

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Six Line aggression towards gobies is a given and fact I had one with a sand sifting goby and he bullied it until I had to pull him

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 wrasses in a larger tank is alright but I don’t think 5 wrasses WITH other fish in the 65g would be alright. There would be some aggression issues, especially from the six line.

1 month is long enough to establish a home, I still think it’s aggression from the six line. An easy way it out your phone on record for 30-45 minutes, pointing towards the tank in the day then leave the room with the fish in. Fish behave abnormally when others are in the room (If I had to guess, Survival instincts).
There have been no problems in the tank. In fact it has been the most harmonius environment I've had to date. I wanted a mandarin but knew the wrasses eat to many pods. I figured a bottom dweller goby would be fine as the tiny tail spot blenny and fire fish have had no issues at all. Things were normal the past month and only started showing difficulties for the fish this week.

I am going to bring him back to my LFS today.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Six Line aggression towards gobies is a given and fact I had one with a sand sifting goby and he bullied it until I had to pull him
Never shows it and the 2.5 inch 6 line hasn't bothered the small blenny or fire fish either.

Lyss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There have been no problems in the tank. In fact it has been the most harmonius environment I've had to date. I wanted a mandarin but knew the wrasses eat to many pods. I figured a bottom dweller goby would be fine as the tiny tail spot blenny and fire fish have had no issues at all. Things were normal the past month and only started showing difficulties for the fish this week.

I am going to bring him back to my LFS today.
Right, but like folks have been saying, you need to spy to try to catch it b/c usually fish will not bully in front of you. In my case I mentioned in an earlier post I was not seeing it -- the fish turned up one morning behaving sickly and through careful observation I was then able to witness her being bullied.

Also, has the LFS agreed to take a fish back that may be sick?

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely could be the sixline, but I wouldn't rule out the dottyback either. They tend to butt heads with similar size/shaped fish that occupy the same areas of the tank.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He does do down to the sand at night to sleep. He took the dottybacks sand pit under a coral and the dottyback went to the other side of the tank and dug a new sand pit.
That might be a key clue - the other fish bed down for the night so the aggression stops.
Jay

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really thinking something like one of my good size emerald crabs was bothering him under the rocks? I've watched this tank for 1000000000's of hours and never saw a hint of aggression towards him but im looking at my 2" emerald crab and thinking maybe he was trying to get the goby in the dark.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really thinking something like one of my good size emerald crabs was bothering him under the rocks? I've watched this tank for 1000000000's of hours and never saw a hint of aggression towards him but im looking at my 2" emerald crab and thinking maybe he was trying to get the goby in the dark.
A 2” emerald? In what world! Mine hit 1” and then get eaten. Never caught the culprit to who ate the emeralds but also never found a body, maybe they’re still living in there and eating detritus and left over food. When I got them (2 years ago) there were two, I haven’t seen them since.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 2” emerald? In what world! Mine hit 1” and then get eaten. Never caught the culprit to who ate the emeralds but also never found a body, maybe they’re still living in there and eating detritus and left over food. When I got them (2 years ago) there were two, I haven’t seen them since.
Well, I guess I'm measuring by leg circumference around but he's got some good claws.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back