Stringbeans 120g reef build

Stringbean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after lucking up and winning the reef your rock contest I thought it would be a good time to start a build tread for my new 120g reef tank. A big thanks to reef 2 reef and reef on the rocks for the free rock!! Currently I have a custom setup housing a 40 breeder reef tank and a 44 flatback hex freshwater tank. (For sale btw) I will be tearing down this setup and transferring the fish and corals to my new 120. This build will be very diy as I like to save money were I can and it promotes price in ones work. I picked up a used perfecto 120 last night and some lumber for the stand. Here is my stand so far the area on the right will be for a small table like area. I went kinda light weight on this stand and I'm a bit scared that is not strong enough any thoughts?

image.jpg

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it upside down? Might want to run center braces with 2x4's as your horizontal bars. Might want to add 2x4's to the right vertical side where its missing. All the weight will be resting on the last few inches. Another board will add a lot more support.

OP
OP
S

Stringbean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it's right side up. The cross braces in the bottom will be used to hold a osb floor, and I agree that a extra set of vertical braces would help I just wanted to keep the front open so it would be easy to work in. I'm considering replacing the 2x4 with a 2x6 across the from for added strength.

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea. Here's my stand. I purposely built it a foot longer for more space in the sump area and to have the 12" table on the side to put stuff on or maybe a qt or frag tank.
y8uqedy3.jpg

OP
OP
S

Stringbean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea. Here's my stand. I purposely built it a foot longer for more space in the sump area and to have the 12" table on the side to put stuff on or maybe a qt or frag tank.
y8uqedy3.jpg

What size is your tank?

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I am definitely looking forward to this (I am Christian btw, the owner of RotR, this is my normal screen name for R2R).

OP
OP
S

Stringbean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for tagging along Christian, I can't wait to see what you create for me.

OP
OP
S

Stringbean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some free time today so I finished up the frame of my stand and started what I hope to be a skimmer lol.
image.jpg

image.jpg

OP
OP
S

Stringbean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have a idea of what size pump that would run my skimmer? It's a 6x6 square by about 20 inches tall.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking good!

OP
OP
S

Stringbean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got away from work long enough to get a few more things done the past couple days. Now it's time to hurry up and wait on a nice day to plain some boards to make my trim out of. I also picked up a 55 gallon tank for my sump. I'm kinda Leary of it because its seals are blue from being used to treat fish woth ich at one time does anyone know if they will leach anything harmful?
image.jpg
image.jpg
. As I was typing this FedEx showed up with a shipment of coral I got on Black Friday from Rare Reef, unfortunately they didn't send me my entire order hopefully I will have the issue resolved quickly. Il post up some pics when everything settles in.

OP
OP
S

Stringbean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't been on here for a while thought it was time for a up date. I've got basically everything I need to get the tank up and running. I bought a used asm g3 skimmer body and am using 2 modded maxi jets to run it. My LEDs came in from ocean revive a few days ago also. I can't wait to get everything up and running my tank is becoming more of a frag tank than a display...
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back