Structural thoughts on custom stand

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that he absolutely needs to glue the seams - but the idea that he needs internal bracing is a bit silly. Torsion box designs like this are ridiculously strong, This design is literally orders of magnitude stronger than the black prefab stand pictured above - and much stronger than the typical framed stands everyone seems to love.

In the typical framed stand with a cross beam - the only purpose that cross beam serves is to keep the vertical posts from leaning out - it supports almost no weight - largely because 2x4s bend very easily along that axis.

The biggest weakness with plywood is that it can bend - but building boxes like this eliminates that weakness - because in order for any piece to bend, another pieces has to compress along its length, and wood in general is very strong in that regard.

This is a very strong design. The only issue I have with it is that the left front corner is cut thinner than I'd like. I would add a couple of strips of ply to the inside of that joint - glued and fastened- to essentially make a double-rabbet joint. (http://www.azwoodman.com/box-joints.html for photos of joint types)

Edit:
More plywood stands:

Last edited:
OP
OP
FreakPrism

FreakPrism

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trimmed out and primed inside.

20200709_235833.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 36 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back