DIY Stand - Structural Integrity Opinions (yikes)

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for opinions/thoughts on the structural integrity of a stand for a 62G tank.

Front View:

3D View
(Stand Only):

Directly under the top would be two "beams" (glue-laminated) using two pieces of 3" x 3/4" x 47" ply for a finished thickness of 3" x 1 1/2" x 47".

View (from inside) looking up at the bottom side of the top:

Top View:

All connections would be glued and screwed.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just opinion as I'm not a carpenter... it would probably be fine, but I don't see why you wouldn't just be safe and build a full frame first then skin it. You can check my frag tank build thread, youtube videos etc. for easy DIY framing.

biznatch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are the beams to support the back of the tank? Without them to bolt the plywood to, I don't see any support to prevent the whole stand from sheering.

Also, I'm not sure how well those 'beams' would work as I don't think that's how plywood is made to carry load. If it were me, I would (and did for my 135g stand) use actual 2x4's, which are almost exactly that size anyway and made for that kind of load.

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your design will be fine.
I don't have any tank or stand like that myself. Closest I have is a "standard" 55 gallon (4' long). The stand for that is made of 3/4" particle board with some sort of plastic like coating for durability. It's only about 14" wide (front to back) and just over 4' long.
It has "beams" that are 4.75" high (and 49" long).

You could also go look at some stands at a store and see how they're construction differs from yours.

Sesty22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would build a frame first out of 2x4s and then Skin it with the plywood if that's the material you want to go with.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plywood is plenty strong. I would suggest running the stringers perpendicular to how you have them My 300 gallon sits on a triple layered 3/4 ply wood stand
lhegs are all 6inch wide has nothing but the top and 6 legs, zero bottom At all. My 120s are on double layyered3/4 ply stands.

OP
OP
bdesign

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just opinion as I'm not a carpenter... it would probably be fine, but I don't see why you wouldn't just be safe and build a full frame first then skin it. You can check my frag tank build thread, youtube videos etc. for easy DIY framing.

I built traditional 2x4 construction with the 240 gallon - I wanted to do something simpler for this one.

I’m guessing the load will “only” be 600lbs or so…

OP
OP
bdesign

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are the beams to support the back of the tank? Without them to bolt the plywood to, I don't see any support to prevent the whole stand from sheering.

Also, I'm not sure how well those 'beams' would work as I don't think that's how plywood is made to carry load. If it were me, I would (and did for my 135g stand) use actual 2x4's, which are almost exactly that size anyway and made for that kind of load.

My thought is that the solid back panel should prevent any fear of sheering.

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Looking for opinions/thoughts on the structural integrity of a stand for a 62G tank.

Front View:

3D View
(Stand Only):

Directly under the top would be two "beams" (glue-laminated) using two pieces of 3" x 3/4" x 47" ply for a finished thickness of 3" x 1 1/2" x 47".

View (from inside) looking up at the bottom side of the top:

Top View:

All connections would be glued and screwed.
Your entire tank would be resting on 3/4” plywood walls. I suggest adding some support beams. Even if they are plywood as well. You just don’t have a lot running vertical and that is what ultimately holds the load.

Edit: If it were me I’d do 2x4 frame and skin it

biznatch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thought is that the solid back panel would prevent any lateral movement…?

But what is supporting the back panel if it's not tied to any support beams? Screwing sideways into other plywood pieces? Also it doesn't seem like the plywood beams are actually handling any of the load, just the plywood sides, which I would worry about bowing in the middle without a frame.

My stand is overbuilt, but carrying almost 2k lbs, I figure better safe than sorry. Based on what I see, I would personally would not feel comfortable with that design holding the tank.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming the tank has a plastic frame around the bottom, the middle beam has little value. All of the weight will be supported around the perimeter. I would put a beam across the front and across the back. The value of the plywood top is to provide lateral rigidity. If you look at metal frames, you will notice they typically are open in the middle.

saltypepper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could build a car us like a cabinet and support the load that way but I would not recommend it. It does not matter about the beams you could have all beams in a the world but if you don’t have the support the load transferred from the beam it will fall down. Get a good beam to support the span then have good columns that transfers the load from the beams to the floor. But that’s my two cents. I am also an engineer.

Also your load will be more than what the dead load is going to be water plus rocks plus tank plus what ever else you put in it. You will have a live load because the water is moving about causing changes in the loading.

OP
OP
bdesign

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming the tank has a plastic frame around the bottom, the middle beam has little value. All of the weight will be supported around the perimeter. I would put a beam across the front and across the back. The value of the plywood top is to provide lateral rigidity. If you look at metal frames, you will notice they typically are open in the middle.
For what it’s worth, the tank is frameless

juiceguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
3/4" Plywood is plenty strong for 62g tank.

I built a similar stand from 3/4 ply for an IM 75g
I used Kreg pocket screws and glue, I added some extra support on the sides and across the top just for piece of mind.

IMG_1323.jpeg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 88 57.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%

Back