Struggling Low PH

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening,
Over the last few months I've been struggling with low pH. I've tried numerous things to fix this issue. To eliminate a bad pH meter I'd like to pick a new one up, so if you have any recommendations put it below. However I still think my pH isn't ideal. Corals and fish aren't dying necessarily, but they aren't thriving. While it could be some other issue I'd like to take it one like at a time and check pH first.

Recently I've noticed that a new batch of RO water mixes around a pH of 9. Then directly after adding my salt mix it drops to anywhere form a pH of 6 to a pH of 7. Here are my readings tested with the Pancellent pH meter.

5/13/2023
RO Water- 8.8
Mixing Salt Water- 6.9
Tank Water- 7.1

So my RO water mixes pretty great, a little high but not bad. Then the issues starts, after adding "Tropic Marin Pro-Reef" salt It drops to acidic levels.

Okay so, I'd like help in finding and fixing the problem. I'm happy to provide any needed information. How can I achieve a constant pH of 8.1-8.2 within the tank?

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ryde - 7.1 is very low. Good news is that if things aren't dying necessarily, then I'm guessing it is your pH meter - since you also mentioned you need to get a new one. I would start there, calibrate it correctly with the appropriate fluids, and see where you are. If it is still 7.1, then I would try a new bucket of salt next...

FrugalReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just open windows and dose ESV 2 part for alk/cal needs which also helps with my pH. Night time pH is 7.8 and daytime pH maxes out at 8.3 and once in a while hits 8.4. pH is monitored using a Milwaukee pH monitor.

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Ryde - 7.1 is very low. Good news is that if things aren't dying necessarily, then I'm guessing it is your pH meter - since you also mentioned you need to get a new one. I would start there, calibrate it correctly with the appropriate fluids, and see where you are. If it is still 7.1, then I would try a new bucket of salt next...
You are correct hoping it is just a faulty meter. While I'm not saying a bad batch of salt is impossible, it is pretty rare. The only reason I see pH mixing lower would be because of the alkalinity. So I ran a test on the alkalinity using the hand held color meter form Hanna.

5/13/2023
Ro Water- Untested
Mixing Salt Water- 7.8dkh
Tank- 9.8dkh

If I'm thinking correctly then an alkalinity of 7.8 shouldn't give a pH of 7 right? In the case I'm correct then the chance of a faulty meter improves and the salt wouldn't be considered bad. Thoughts?

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just open windows and dose ESV 2 part for alk/cal needs which also helps with my pH. Night time pH is 7.8 and daytime pH maxes out at 8.3 and once in a while hits 8.4. pH is monitored using a Milwaukee pH monitor.

Opening windows and/or pumping outside air into the tank has never improved pH levels for me. As said above my alkalinity is at a level that shouldn't being my pH down so low. Odd.

I was looking at the Milwaukee pH monitor, relatively inexpensive, Thanks for the suggestion.

Isaac Alves

www.instagram.com/theloneaquarist/
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add my own experience with low pH. I have an air line that fits directly from outside the house to my skimmer AND I dose Kalk + make adjustments with Randy’s high pH 2 part additive. And I still struggle. The only thing that works for me is stupid CO2 scrubbing media — I hope I’m mitigating it’s depletion with all the other tactics I’m doing. One Phosban 150 worth of media lasts me about 2, sometimes 3 weeks if I open the windows a lot.

I’m hitting 8.2-8.3 during the day with the CO2 media. And about 8 at night.

My build is under a year old so I’m thinking once the reef is populated with growing corals the Kalk and Randy 2 party will start giving me proper pH.

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add my own experience with low pH. I have an air line that fits directly from outside the house to my skimmer AND I dose Kalk + make adjustments with Randy’s high pH 2 part additive. And I still struggle. The only thing that works for me is stupid CO2 scrubbing media — I hope I’m mitigating it’s depletion with all the other tactics I’m doing. One Phosban 150 worth of media lasts me about 2, sometimes 3 weeks if I open the windows a lot.

I’m hitting 8.2-8.3 during the day with the CO2 media. And about 8 at night.

My build is under a year old so I’m thinking once the reef is populated with growing corals the Kalk and Randy 2 party will start giving me proper pH.

Appreciate your input. I have put some thought into CO2 scrubbing. I just can't see it being viable as my tank is only 32 gallons all in one. With that you said your media only last 3 weeks max. This would become a added cost I'd like to avoid. I could potentially see me kalk dosing. Again though it would be a cost I'd like to avoid.

Uggghh, pH has just never really made sense to me. Doing things to improve it just hasn't seemed to help haha. Just hoping it is a bad meter, then I can go form there.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to exchange the air in your room or home with the outside. Some can do this easily and some cannot. Just cracking a window is often not enough. Force in new air, if you have to. It makes a world of difference and does more good than all of the other options combined, IME.

I have seen people who open a window an inch for an hour, then turn their heater and pump that high co2 air from the rest of the home. Like actually get new air into the home - like the whole place. It can do good for the humans and pets too.

For example, we have a 48" whole house fan. Even in the winter, if it hits 45 degrees, we can open a window in the basement, one on the main level and run that thing for 2 minutes and exchange nearly 100% of the air... and the 68 degree interior temp only drops a degree. This can raise the pH in my tanks like .15, or so, if it has been a week since we did this. Except in the coldest months, we run the whole house fan nearly every day and pH is never an issue for me.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening,
Over the last few months I've been struggling with low pH. I've tried numerous things to fix this issue. To eliminate a bad pH meter I'd like to pick a new one up, so if you have any recommendations put it below. However I still think my pH isn't ideal. Corals and fish aren't dying necessarily, but they aren't thriving. While it could be some other issue I'd like to take it one like at a time and check pH first.

Recently I've noticed that a new batch of RO water mixes around a pH of 9. Then directly after adding my salt mix it drops to anywhere form a pH of 6 to a pH of 7. Here are my readings tested with the Pancellent pH meter.

5/13/2023
RO Water- 8.8
Mixing Salt Water- 6.9
Tank Water- 7.1

So my RO water mixes pretty great, a little high but not bad. Then the issues starts, after adding "Tropic Marin Pro-Reef" salt It drops to acidic levels.

Okay so, I'd like help in finding and fixing the problem. I'm happy to provide any needed information. How can I achieve a constant pH of 8.1-8.2 within the tank?
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "Recently I've noticed that a new batch of RO water mixes around a pH of 9." Your RO/DI water should not be a pH of 9 to start. And I also don't know exactly what you mean by the RO/DI water "mixes" around that pH.
what are you mixing it with.

The other thing is that I can't think of ANY reason that adding the salt could lower your pH.

I also agree that I wouldn't want to say that it is 100% "impossible" that your salt is at fault. But with the way you describe this situation, I would also be pretty comfortable saying that it is "almost certainly" a measurement error of some kind.

My suggestion would be to do what you can to verify the pH values that you are getting.

If in the end you still think it is your salt batch, contact me in our office and I will see if I can help you further.

Stephen Glover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph meters are notorious for going bad after being exposed to air for a period. I found out about mine after low pH readings and comparing them to a Salifert pH test kit.

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "Recently I've noticed that a new batch of RO water mixes around a pH of 9." Your RO/DI water should not be a pH of 9 to start. And I also don't know exactly what you mean by the RO/DI water "mixes" around that pH.
what are you mixing it with.

The other thing is that I can't think of ANY reason that adding the salt could lower your pH.

I also agree that I wouldn't want to say that it is 100% "impossible" that your salt is at fault. But with the way you describe this situation, I would also be pretty comfortable saying that it is "almost certainly" a measurement error of some kind.

My suggestion would be to do what you can to verify the pH values that you are getting.

If in the end you still think it is your salt batch, contact me in our office and I will see if I can help you further.

Thanks Lou for the imput! I only was aware of this issue over the last three weeks, but it has most definitely been around longer. I don't mix anything with my RO water, I just fill up a bucket till it's ready for the salt mix. Sorry for the tad bit of confusion.

If I come to the conclusion that it is the salt, then I'll reach out. Thanks again!

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph meters are notorious for going bad after being exposed to air for a period. I found out about mine after low pH readings and comparing them to a Salifert pH test kit.
Is the Salifert pH test kit a good kit to get a base with? Would it be hard to read? If so I'll pick it up too.

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening,

5/13/2023
RO Water- 8.8
Mixing Salt Water- 6.9
Tank Water- 7.1

Are you running a skimmer? That would help. Otherwise you can open a window, direct wavemakers to cause surface agitation. Or add kalkwasser if you are doing an ATO system

Stephen Glover

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the Salifert pH test kit a good kit to get a base with? Would it be hard to read? If so I'll pick it up too.
It’s not the easiest to read at some levels but you’ll get a good idea if you’re above or below 8.0. It’s fine as a 2nd opinion.

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running a skimmer? That would help. Otherwise you can open a window, direct wavemakers to cause surface agitation. Or add kalkwasser if you are doing an ATO system
A skimmer can help if your house Co2 is low, but it can actually make it worse by depressing your pH further if your house Co2 is very high...

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not running a skimmer. I believe my tank is a bit small for one. The skimmer would need to be a hang on or incredibly small. It's just jot worth it. I open windows pretty often and pump outside air into the the tank. I also have a good bit of surface agitation. Looking into kalkwasser, but I'd need to get an ATO, currently not using one.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Lou for the imput! I only was aware of this issue over the last three weeks, but it has most definitely been around longer. I don't mix anything with my RO water, I just fill up a bucket till it's ready for the salt mix. Sorry for the tad bit of confusion.

If I come to the conclusion that it is the salt, then I'll reach out. Thanks again!
If you are not mixing anything into your RO/DI water, then there is something off with your meter. Your RO water should NOT register as 9 dkH if there is nothing else in it. My guess would be that your issue is related to that in some way.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back