Struggling to Feed Dragon Eel...

jaspercrane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a 15-18" dragon eel for a few months now. Got him from another tank being disassembled in town where he was fed live bait fish. He is in my semi-aggressive fish only tank with ~20 other fish (mostly tangs).

Every now and then he will eat a strip of salmon fillet (~4" x 1/2") but most of the time he won't even take it, even though he is obviously hungry - swimming around the tank looking for food (he has learned he gets fed when the fish get fed, plus he smells the salmon). I have tried octopus and other fresh fish from the store, but it is becoming incredibly frustrating trying to get him to eat, especially when I can tell he is hungry. I don't want to do live fish because 1) risk of parasites and 2) I'm afraid this will train him to eat my other (expensive) fish.

Last thing I will note is that he doesn't have a true cave hideout. I ordered one and am waiting on that to come in. For now he has some decent hiding spots but nothing completely enclosed where he can just let his head pop out. I wonder if that is causing stress and making it difficult for him to eat?

Any help, advice, or suggestions would be much appreciated!

RamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty sure they only eat once maybe twice a week, is he eating that?

He is probably stressed looking for somewhere to call home and that is why he is swimming.

Disclaimer: I don't have eels so don't take my word as sound.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you arrange your rocks in a way where he can tuck his entire body away and have a spot to stick his head out. Using the back of the tank as the back of his cave. Continuing to offer him fish, squid, octopus, shrimp; I get these squid rings and cut them to make a strip and baby octopus from the asian market. If he has taken some food that's a good sign, make him a home and keep offering him food. It can take a couple of months for an eel like this to settle in; maybe even longer iof he was used to eating live.

OP
OP
J

jaspercrane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the advice - sorry wasn't notified about your replies. the eel has his hideout now and I think is doing a lot better. he is eating 1-2x a week which seems normal, but still a bit of a struggle getting him to adjust away from the live meals ha.

OP
OP
J

jaspercrane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the advice - sorry somehow missed your replies from a few weeks back. we have a hideout for the eel now, and i think he is doing a lot better. eating salmon 1-2x a week, but still a bit of a struggle getting him to shift away from live meals ha

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 47 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back