Student Reefer 10 Gallon Tank Build

LexiconDevil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New to the hobby, and just set up and cycled my new 10 gallon tank. Hoping to develop a healthy tank and perhaps move forward in the hobby by moving into a bigger tank when I’m more comfortable and have a better understanding of all things reef.

I understand that this can be a expensive and sometimes challenging hobby, which is why I decided to join the forum in the search for answers that I may later ask, because as far as I can understand, this hobby has something new to learn everyday for even those who have years of experience. :)

OP
OP
LexiconDevil

LexiconDevil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I guess I’ll dive into this thread by posting a picture and explaining where this all started.
image.jpg

Pictured above is my new 10 gallon reef tank with my two new Black Ocellaris Clownfish!

This tank was originally a gift for my birthday from my older brother, who’s been in the freshwater hobby for quite sometime. Him and I had been talking about starting a reef tank for some time.
Being a student who lives away from home, I was sceptical about getting into the hobby because I like to go back home every once in a while for a few days, so I didn’t want to leave my fish behind to be neglected, but I have some awesome roommates who help me out by keeping an eye on things for me.

Once I had the tank, filter and heater my brother had given me, the next thing I knew I had to do was research, and lots of it! I began to develop a bit of an understanding of the basics in reef keeping, this being water parameters, filtration, water flow, etc. I decided once I had enough confidence to start the setup, I’d begin setting things up at a rate where I wouldn’t get in over my head. This included buying my light, wave maker, live sand, dry rock and maintenance equipment. I set up my tank and have let it cycle for a few weeks, adding bacteria to help with the process and decided to add my two new Clownfish this week! They seem to be happy in their new home!

Next thing I’d like to do is maybe change to a better filter system that allows me to add more bio media. I’d ideally like to stick to hang on filters, but any input or ideas is much appreciated!
Also, what do you guys think about the rock?I didn’t want to go with live rock because I have read and heard about the possibility of introducing potential pests. Looking back I wish I had gotten a nicer looking reef rock and done a better job with my aquascape...:rolleyes:

mudskipper1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the hobby! I kept a nano tank all through college, and my first pair of clowns even survived the semester I studied abroad when they were left under my sister's care, who essentially forgot about them:rolleyes:. It can be done!

A few questions - what are your goals for the tank? Are you hoping to add corals? If so, what kinds?
Don't worry too much about the rock, it will color up before you know it (once you go through the ugly brown algae phase...). You can always buy different rock and add it slowly if you are having second thoughts! Can't tell you how many times I re-scaped my early tanks, now I haven't touched it in 4 years...

In terms of filtration. If you are shooting for corals down the line, I would recommend a protein skimmer of some kind. They do a much better job at removing the nutrients from the tank entirely.

Good luck!

OP
OP
LexiconDevil

LexiconDevil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the hobby! I kept a nano tank all through college, and my first pair of clowns even survived the semester I studied abroad when they were left under my sister's care, who essentially forgot about them:rolleyes:. It can be done!

A few questions - what are your goals for the tank? Are you hoping to add corals? If so, what kinds?
Don't worry too much about the rock, it will color up before you know it (once you go through the ugly brown algae phase...). You can always buy different rock and add it slowly if you are having second thoughts! Can't tell you how many times I re-scaped my early tanks, now I haven't touched it in 4 years...

In terms of filtration. If you are shooting for corals down the line, I would recommend a protein skimmer of some kind. They do a much better job at removing the nutrients from the tank entirely.

Good luck!
I was thinking of putting some corals in later, most likely just a few easy to care for LPS or Softies. A protein skimmer has definitely been on my radar so it’s nice to hear some feedback in regards to that and the rock.
Thanks!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back