OP
stunreefer

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You "saved money" with an ELOS system ..... that's funny to me.
You must have missed my last build thread ;) Stocking and equipment for a 183 gallon rimless AGE is a lot different than a 20 gallon ELOS... my wallet is smiling at me :xd: rather than crying at me :cry:
So any angels in the future?
You know me Brian... take a guess :wink:

Thanks for the clarification Todd!

OP
OP
stunreefer

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally had time to put a little work into the tank this weekend (besides feeding ;) ):

- Performed first ~ 5 gal water change... honestly didn't really need it but I re-started my QT to get ready for some fish and wanted some "good" water ;)

- Received an awesome little piece of liverock from a reefer buddy (thanks bruder!) with some really cool pink sponge on it. It replaced the smaller rock on the right side of the substrate in the pics.

- Picked up a sweet little double-headed colony of Tubastrea faulkneri that replaced the rock on the left side of the substrate. The left head of the colony is yellow with a couple orange polyps, and the right side is orange coralites with a hint of pink.

- Purchased a couple more Rhizotrochus typus and a wicked colony of Dendrophyllia spp. that will be picked up and brought home by Friday - pics to come after that!

- Finally got around to tuning in my skimmer, or start to at least, and am seeing some nice foam head production... need to take time to fine tune a bit more before I start seeing real nasty sludge.

- Also finally got around to installing my Osmocontroller (ATO) only to find out I'm missing the power supply and suction cups to hold the glass piece where the sensor resides! dang! So... just got off the phone with Jesse (owner of ELOS USA) and have those coming my way :D

I LOVE this system and how easy it is to run... will be that much better when it's full and the ATO is running which will also allow the skimmer to kick ace! I see one or two more Minis in the future...

Last edited:

SeaSlug

Hooked On Reef Tanks
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving it Stun , looks great ! I have to be honest though I already miss the AGA Rimless . I really really loved the look of that tank .

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank! I haven't seen much in the way of deepwater-only tanks so it's nice to see something new.

aquafrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love everything super clean and awesome livestock

but the maxijet needs to GO!!:tongue:

OP
OP
stunreefer

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving it Stun , looks great ! I have to be honest though I already miss the AGA Rimless . I really really loved the look of that tank .
Thanks!

The AGE is still sitting in my room, LOL. Empty and cleaned... I really do love that tank as well, but I had another $5K in equipment to add, you don't wanna know how much in livestock, and I travel a ton for work now... this lil guy is sooo simple and easy to run I love it! The main thing that kills me is the amount of fish I can keep, or lack thereof I should say. But, my sunburst is loving life, andf he'll have a pair of new friends in the next couple months ;)

Ryan (bruder on R2R) bought the AGE and is a great friend and reefer buddy of mine who's local to me. He's moving into a new place in early September and we'll be moving it over shortly there after. He (we ;) ) have big plans for this bad boy :D
Great tank! I haven't seen much in the way of deepwater-only tanks so it's nice to see something new.
Thanks Russell! I love azooxanthellate corals and IMO they're the best looking critters in the ocean... so much fun to feed too! I cannot wait until we can keep Genuses like Scleronepthya and Dendronepthya easier than today. With my aggressive nutrient export scheme I could get away with them, but I'm not around enought to feed them as much as they require... if I can figuire out how to automate it easily and effectively (which I will at some point) then I'll be adding a couple small pieces in here.
I love everything super clean and awesome livestock... but the maxijet needs to GO!!:tongue:
Thanks!

Trust me, I know! LOL

I'm getting a MP10, but haven't had a chance to go to my LFS to pick one up (they stock 'em!). For now it's just for additional flow and works like a champ... I'll be adding a chiller prior to the MP10.

OP
OP
stunreefer

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here are the last shots of the Mini before breaking down. These were all taken last night, on two different camera phones, which is why they are TERRIBLE quality, but I wanted to get something up and have a few pics to remember it by. It's been a "holding" tank for a while now, never did end up mounting a couple of my later coral aquisitions. You'll note a couple bare spots where sand has been pulled to "seed" the new big boy tank. Enjoy these crappy pics:

lastmini.jpg

lastmini2.jpg

lastmini5.jpg

lastmini4.jpg

lastmini3.jpg

CherryCorals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talk about a dangerous neighborhood! That bandit has to run the gauntlet through all those tentacles!

pookstreet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Austin :D She looks good and you need to get some good shots after she's in the big tank with a little bit more elbow room.

OP
OP
stunreefer

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice Austin... I like the bandit... ;)
Thanks Marv... me too!
Talk about a dangerous neighborhood! That bandit has to run the gauntlet through all those tentacles!
LOL, yep!

They've grabbed him many times... it's really quite hilarious when they do. He turns around like, "Hey! What the heck do think you're doing!?!" will stare at them for a second, then make sure to steal some food from them during the next feeding. They've also grabbed the little sunburst before, but he just swims away. They really have no chance of cathcing a healthy fish of decent size. Now if the sunburst swam right into the middle of them, and all the tentacles closed fast (and lemme tell you they close FAST!) it might be a different story; The bandit would never be caught though.
Nice Austin :D She looks good and you need to get some good shots after she's in the big tank with a little bit more elbow room.
Thanks Kenny! How's yours doing? She'll love the big tank! Junior will be coming over to take some more than decent pics for sure.
Very Nice tank I really like it.
Thanks Joe!
So wait, what happened between August and now?
What do you mean?
you dork, you should have called me. i would have been happy to take some pics before the breakdown...
LOL... what, you don't like my pics? ... C'mon these rival yours anyday!

Besides, that would mean I'd have to clean the glass and such. These pics are so bad you can hardly tell I didn't :nerd:

Last edited:
OP
OP
stunreefer

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean end of August you were getting ready to change out the skimmer, put an MP10 in there and such, then nothing, and now you're shutting it down.

What happened in between or the reason for shutting it down?
Ahhh, gotcha... I knew there was something I was missing besides, "Well, it got cold between then and now" :wink:

Simply put, I got the Bandit. I knew he will outgrow this tank so I didn't want to add anything else to it. I never got around to grabbing a MP10, and I did buy a new skimmer, but bought a big one with the move to a big tank in mind. I set up the new skimmer in the Mini sump and it was just not working out so I removed it and have been running it with rock and sand in a tub for the big boy tank. I've been running skimmer-less for quite a while on this tank now.

I downsized and set the Mini up after receiving a promotion, but haven't been traveling nearly as much as I thought I would. One of my reefer buddies bought my large tank from me, but wasn't able to set it up, so it sat in my room staring me in the eye day after day telling me it was lonely and wanted to get wet. I figuire, why grab another tank for the bandit to move into when this is still here. Talked to my friend about it and he was all for selling it back to me, so I'm going that route - and I'm excited! :D

Here's the tank he'll be going in: https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/f52/stuns-reef-21778.html

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back