Stuns' Deepwater ELOS Mini System

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of you guys know I decided to break down my AGE due to work, but I wanted to remain in the hobby and keep the livestock I had collected for the AGE, so I set-up an ELOS Mini System... and I love it! It's easy for the roomates to care for while I'm away, and saves lots of money and time for me - perfect for now.

This will be a deepwater reef as the AGE was. The Mini will house my Serranocirrhitus latus (Sunburst Anthias) along with a couple other fish, and my current non photosynthetic coral along with several new additions. I did pick up a couple more small colonies of Dendrophyllia arbuscula (Dendros) yesterday.

On to the pics! :tongue:

FYI, these are my pics, most taken with flash... ie, they STINK! But they'll have to suffice for now. I'll get Junior or someone who can work a cam over here soon...

Full Frontal
img_5126.jpg

Front Close-Up
img_5127.jpg

img_5127.jpg

img_5140.jpg

These are with the Moonlight on
img_5128.jpg

Right Side
img_5129.jpg

Left Side
img_5130.jpg

Really Clean Sump Area
img_5139.jpg

img_5137.jpg

I have an ELOS Osmolater (A.T.O. system) I still need to hook up, and I'll start fine tuning the NS100 (skimmer) as it breaks in. I love black backgrounds so I put one on before setting it up. As you can see I have a MJ 900 in the upper left corner for supplemental flow currently, but it will be replaced with a Vortech MP10 this weekend. Couple of LFS have them in stock so I can just go pick it up - no waiting :D Also to come is an RKE or Apex controller, and I'll more than likely switch out the ELOS E-Lite with a newer generation, in which they're more blue and you can dim them. These lights are awesome, but I don't need any light so I mostly run the moonlight :D ATB is releasing a skimmer that will fit in my sump soon, so depending on the NS100s performance I might replace it, we'll see ;)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That is just wild! I love deepwater tanks. You going to get some of those cool fish and starfish?

El Camaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice tank stunreefer, those elos setups are sweet. Im also digging the rock and deepwater livestock.

OP
OP
stunreefer

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys!
You going to get some of those cool fish and starfish?
I believe your reffering more to a "coldwater/temperate reef," like the infamous Steve Weast has: Oregonreef.com They are very cool, but a whole 'nother animal than what I'm doing. I will be running a small chiller on this tank, but not to the extent that "temperate reefs" have to be at. My max temp. in this will run about 75* F. Those reefs run about 55*F :neutral: This tank will replicate a depth range of 150-300 feet, and the geographical range between Hawaii and Japan.

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is super cool Austin! What a tiny skimmer for you eh? Looks like you and Marv made a switcheroo... he went BIG, and you went Nano! ;)

OP
OP
stunreefer

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you and Marv made a switcheroo... he went BIG, and you went Nano! ;)
LOL, exactly... we'll live vicariously through each other now ;)
Nice Austin, glad you didn't get outta the game...
Oh c'mon Ian, you know me, I'm goin' no where :D Even if I'm only home half the time!
Nice I love how you have the scape
Thanks Stacey! I'm really pleased with it. The "cave" you can see in the rock actually goes up into the rock about six inches with another exit towards the top... perfect fish haven. The two smaller rocks on the bottom will also be covered in coral.

Acroholic

There is no substitute.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are those three Rhizotrochus Typus in the reef? I just got my first one a week ago.
Dave

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like that - nice clean looking setup!

FaviaFreak

Weir Everywhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Austin, great looking system hard to beat an Elos that's for sure, mucho potential going on there with those Rhizo's

OP
OP
stunreefer

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys!
Are those three Rhizotrochus Typus in the reef?
You are correct Dave, except there are currently five Rhizothrochus typus, with more to come ;) (waiting on CITES certificates)

They're my favorite species of coral, with another species of NPS coral in close second place that I should be receiving in the next couple months... fingers crossed!

iani

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are no CITES permits for Rhizos. AFAIK, all of the Rhizos are coming in under CITES permits for different species.

StanD

-- zoa junkie --
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 66.7%
2   1   0
You "saved money" with an ELOS system ..... that's funny to me. Very clean setup!

CherryCorals

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have brought in Rhyzo's with Rhyzo CITIES, the first batch of Reds, whites, and a few yellows all came in 100% legally through LA.

My supplier has CITIES for 25 more and then the well for legal Rhyzo's will have run dry. I plan to wait for Greens and whites.

I do agree that all of the current Rhyzo's have likely come in with CITIES for something other than Rhyzo's.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back