Stupid mistake with heater….

alyssaphen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing a big water change and severely underestimated how much water I had by the time I already siphoned water out/disposed of or. My water was low enough to leave 80% of my titanium heater exposed (not submerged in water). It stayed like this for maybe 3-4 hours, until I could go to my LFS to get more water. Once I started slowly adding water, I heard a quick sizzle and immediately realized my mistake… I quickly unplugged the heater, but now I’m nervous to plug it back in. Am I past the potential fire hazard stage? Any tips on an approach to safely turn it back on, or is it a goner?

TLDR: I accidentally left my titanium heater exposed (not submerged for 3-4 hours), I heard a sizzle when adding water back so I unplugged it. When/how is it safe to plug it back in and put it back to work?

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

alyssaphen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s a glass heater, I would inspect carefully for glass cracking. If you suspect a problem I would get another heater without hesitation.
It’s a titanium heater if that makes any difference

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm by no means an expert but if it were mine i'd uplug it, inspect it for cracks in the body. if none, relegate it to water change tub duty and throw it away if you find any.
Heaters are cheap and are actually recommended to be replaced during their warranty period which is only up to 2 years if i remember correctly.
edit: just noticed your edit and have no experience with titanium heaters so am unsure. regardless i'd still test it thoroughly before trusting it.

ナイトコア猫

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At minimum, regardless of what you use it for, with the heater in a bucket as others have mentioned, use an "AC Leak Metre" such as one from Fluke, test with the heater OFF. Verify that there is no current detected.

Then test with the heater ON, making sure to say away from the water. If you detect current while the heater is ON, turn the heater OFF; it is leaking current and unsafe to use.

Products:

Readings:

Back