Stupid Question: Fiberglass Insulation Toxicity

cmoresps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This stupid but it really happened. I am setting up a large tank, had a rubbermaid trash can filled with BRS pukani live rock, it was covered. Between work and everything, months have gone by, rain water filled unbeknownst to me. Further squirrels got into a rafter above it, a one by one square got into the trash can and sat. I am sure its probably not a problem, my intention is to soak the LR in ro for a day or two, dry it out and use it. The water it was in is completely clean otherwise, it had zero odor.

Do I have any reason to be concerned over contaminants from the fiberglass, its going in a large system (I told you this was a stupid situation).

Thanks in advance

kbnh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the age of the insulation, it may have formaldehyde in it, they used to use it as a binder for the insulation. If it leeches out while in contact with water? I’m not sure.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way back in the dark ages, (the 1960s) before floss became readily available, fiberglass was used in filtration. Back then, it was called angel's hair. I was working in a pet shop and every Saturday I had to change the filters, using fiberglass. I itched from the fibers in my hands and arms. Aquarists found out that the fibers were getting into the water column and getting stuck in the fish's throats and gills, killing them. So, if you handle your fiberglass and get itchy, then thoroughly rinse the rock.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the age of the insulation, it may have formaldehyde in it, they used to use it as a binder for the insulation. If it leeches out while in contact with water? I’m not sure.

Urea formaldehyde insulation is a different material than fiberglass, and only very slowly releases formaldehyde.

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done some consulting work for the insulation industry. Up until a few years ago a "Formaldehyde based" glue was commonly used as a binder in spun glass insulation as well as the foam stuff Randy mentioned.

I do not know, however, how water soluble that adhesive was, or how much would be in your barrel. I wouldn't think it would be much if any at all.

OP
OP
C

cmoresps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the feedback this insulation was about a year old. I remember angel hair we used to use in filtration!

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back