Mixing station

KHH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello all. I have always done water changes the old fashion way by bucket or large trash cans. However now as I step into my largest tank ever 240 gallon total system, I’m researching mixing stations. I’ve watched tons of videos and the idea seems easy and exactly what I need. HOWEVER I can hardly plug a cord into an outlet without screwing it up let along drill and glue and build one of these systems myself. I would be worried I would contaminate my water or end up with a large leak. I’ve searched and haven’t had any luck so here I am. Do companies sell pre-made or atleast pre drilled and bulkhead installed systems? I’m curious what something like that would cost. Anyone have links they can shoot my way or any ideas to get me in the right direction?

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never heard of a fully ready to go system out of the box. I think the problem is that most mixing stations are rather custom to the size of the tank and dimensions of fish room.

If I had no DIY skills, I’d draw up the plans as best i could, order the tanks/pumps, and see if I could get a local handyman to help install.

OP
OP
KHH

KHH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have never heard of a fully ready to go system out of the box. I think the problem is that most mixing stations are rather custom to the size of the tank and dimensions of fish room.

If I had no DIY skills, I’d draw up the plans as best i could, order the tanks/pumps, and see if I could get a local handyman to help install.
That was my next step but I thought I would see if these thing exist and then research how much that verse buying parts and playing someone to do it would cost.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the reason that there isn't a commercially available mixing station is because there is no money in it for any company. I would imagine, partly due to shipping and shelving space for retailers.

Plus they'd be competing with what is seemingly an easy DIY by most hobbyist.

I won't question your ability to make one. Because I've met a lot of people who excel in other areas but don't know how a screw driver works.

But for DIY projects, this is on the novice side.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are quite a few youtube videos on this. Its not that hard to do. Those bigger water barrels are expensive though. Years ago I got lucky on my local forum and someone was selling 2- 200g horizontal water storage units for relatively cheap. Now I am using 2- 55g brute trash cans....it works. Its almost like you need to be able to diy a little or a lot to be in the hobby, or know people.

OP
OP
KHH

KHH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m sure I can do it. I just feel like my DIY solutions are never pretty and I’m OCD when it comes to visuals. Guess it’s time to learn.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure I can do it. I just feel like my DIY solutions are never pretty and I’m OCD when it comes to visuals. Guess it’s time to learn.
Fair enough. Everyone has their standards.

A bit off topic but it always makes me wonder that if we use the OCD (or better yet, esthetically pleasing to the eye setups) as a distraction from the slow pace of progression.

I'm guilty of it myself, in the early stages of my current reef I had to fill the void with making a place for everything and having everything in its place. Eventually it evolved (or devolved depending your perspective) to having form follow way behind function. Seldom do we see what is a "picture ready" set up be functional at the same time.

What's my idea of a functioning mixing station? Something that streamlines the process and that is sustainable over years of use... looks stopped playing the lead character after I had to replace/repair components and sub components.

20240305_135417.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back