Styrofoam- Epoxy- Sand DECOR

Erwan E

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the past 7 years I had a 55 gallons tank with a hand made decor. I loved the fact that I never experienced any nitrate. I recently upgraded to a Red Sea 750 and decided to take the same approach with the decor and bottom. I have the look of sand with no sand , the look of rocks with no rocks.
Here are two photos

60EE9260-9A1E-424F-8CAC-FA46EE562F2F.jpeg

6C399D8D-47FC-436E-A33D-89A64C467C70.jpeg

1. I used blocks of Styrofoam that I glued together with Silicone I (very important to use 1 …. Non- toxic) to get the general shape.

2. Carved the big blocks with a knife to take chunks out and designed very roughly.

3. Used a blow torch on low setting and stay far enough to slowly melt the Styrofoam without making big hole. This is where your imagination takes you. Don’t try to make small details at this point because the epoxy and sand coming next will cover the small details. I learned with my previous tank.

4. Once you have the shape desired, get Pond Epoxy from Home depot Online. I used 3 quarts for this tank. Follow the mixing direction and definitely used denatured alcohol as indicated.

5. Apply the epoxy with a paint brush in small batches trying to work with horizontal portions, which will require to flip the décor in all directions over the next few sessions. AS SOON AS you have covered a small area with epoxy, apply moist sand (play sand from Home Depot or Lowes) and move on to a different area of the décor.

6. Let your work dry for 24 hours and flip the décor upside down over a large trash bag to collect the sand that did not stick and reuse it.

7. Continue over the entire décor.

8. Once the décor is completely covered….. start all over again. Once finished, the décor will be as hard as a rock.

For the bottom:

1. Get a Styrofoam board (1inch thick) from home depot or Lowes. You will find that in the insulation area. Remove the plastic film.

2. Applying the concept with epoxy and sand, I used white crushed coral to have the white look.

Although the décor and bottom will feel heavy, the pieces will float if not glued with Silicon 1.

In order to make it seamless, I did the “rock” formation first. Then I glued it to the bottom part and work on the bottom. In order to make the whole décor to your tank dimension, I would suggest to cut the bottom in two or three pieces to drop it in the tank. Do not forget to apply a lot of silicone at the bottom to prevent the whole décor from floating. Once you have all the pieces in your tank, you can use a little more epoxy and crushed coral to repair and mask the cuts.

Once the décor is dried, it is completely non-toxic. Cycle the tank as you would with dry rocks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is really cool! Nice job!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Erwan E, could you give us some details on how you did this? I'm really curious about the substrate/fake sand.

OP
OP
Erwan E

Erwan E

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the delayed response.
The main rock formation, back wall and bottom are all made of styrofoam, epoxy and sand. The bottom has crushed coral instead of play sand as the rest of the decor to create a white contrast.
If anyone is interested, i will put the step by step process ( long ). I created a similar decor in my previous 50 gallons reef tank and realized that I never had to deal with nitrate in 7 years so I decided to do it again

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested in how you went about building it as well as what specific items you used.

Did you use a refuge or the like, to help with the denitrification process?

OP
OP
Erwan E

Erwan E

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of writing a step by step instruction guideline. Should be done shortly.
Once the decor is completely dry, it is non toxic. I started my tank as you would with dry rocks.

OP
OP
Erwan E

Erwan E

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For main Décor:

1. I used blocks of Styrofoam that I glued together with Silicone I (very important to use 1 …. Non- toxic) to get the general shape.

2. Carved the big blocks with a knife to take chunks out and designed very roughly.

3. Used a blow torch on low setting and stay far enough to slowly melt the Styrofoam without making big hole. This is where your imagination takes you. Don’t try to make small details at this point because the epoxy and sand coming next will cover the small details. I learned with my previous tank.

4. Once you have the shape desired, get Pond Epoxy from Home depot Online. I used 3 quarts for this tank. Follow the mixing direction and definitely used denatured alcohol as indicated.

5. Apply the epoxy with a paint brush in small batches trying to work with horizontal portions, which will require to flip the décor in all directions over the next few sessions. AS SOON AS you have covered a small area with epoxy, apply moist sand (play sand from Home Depot or Lowes) and move on to a different area of the décor.

6. Let your work dry for 24 hours and flip the décor upside down over a large trash bag to collect the sand that did not stick and reuse it.

8. Once the décor is completely covered….. start all over again. Once finished, the décor will be as hard as a rock.

For the bottom:

1. Get a Styrofoam board (1inch thick) from home depot or Lowes. You will find that in the insulation area. Remove the plastic film.

2. Applying the concept with epoxy and sand, I used white crushed coral to have the white look.

Although the décor and bottom will feel heavy, the pieces will float if not glued with Silicon 1.

In order to make it seamless, I did the “rock” formation first. Then I glued it to the bottom part and work on the bottom. In order to make the whole décor to your tank dimension, I would suggest to cut the bottom in two or three pieces to drop it in the tank. Do not forget to apply a lot of silicone at the bottom to prevent the whole décor from floating. Once you have all the pieces in your tank, you can use a little more epoxy and crushed coral to repair and mask the cuts.

Once the décor is dried, it is completely non-toxic. Cycle the tank as you would with dry rocks.

Let me know if you have questions.

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool.

I made a 3D rock wall in mine. Out of pond foam, crushed coral, and sand.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is pretty amazing! Thanks for sharing!

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the very few NICE looking backgrounds I've seen -- If even a quarter of them looked this good I'd like 'em much more.

OP
OP
Erwan E

Erwan E

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the very few NICE looking backgrounds I've seen -- If even a quarter of them looked this good I'd like 'em much more.
Thank you!
I have glued a few pieces of gree star polyps to the background. They used to grow faster than weeds in my previous tank. I believe that in less than a year, the entire background will be green and waiving with water movement. I have left a 3 inch gap between the background and main decor to prevent the green star from jumping over and invading the tank. I had to take scissors and trim every other week. Don’t want to do that again:)

Abdullah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the past 7 years I had a 55 gallons tank with a hand made decor. I loved the fact that I never experienced any nitrate. I recently upgraded to a Red Sea 750 and decided to take the same approach with the decor and bottom. I have the look of sand with no sand , the look of rocks with no rocks.
Here are two photos

60EE9260-9A1E-424F-8CAC-FA46EE562F2F.jpeg

6C399D8D-47FC-436E-A33D-89A64C467C70.jpeg

For the bottom:

Nice job.
Would like to see some pictures or videos of work. Thanx

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back