OP
Erwan E

Erwan E

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the scape you created make for good filtration and breeding ground for pods?
I am not certain about the breeding ground for pods. However, I suspect it is because I have seen many swimming around in my previous tank. Although I had never bought any (probably came with corals purchases). As far as filtration, I am a true believer that the main reason for never having any nitrate is the decor. Since it is non porous, the extra food, fish excrement, and so on does not get inside the rocks. Consequently, the water is crystal clear. Unfortunately, I have had a hard time to keep some types of corals due to the water being too clean.

OP
OP
Erwan E

Erwan E

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is your biologic filtration if u have fake rock ?
Within a few weeks, the decor becomes "live" with bacteria and even algae. In my previous tank, I even had too much coralline algae and even sponges growing that I had never introduced (1 st link). I posted last year asking reefers to identify it. the second link is also from last year in my previous tank showing coral growth on the decor
https://www.reef2reef.com/conversations/i-need-help-please.855217/
https://www.reef2reef.com/conversations/another-one-to-id-please.856291/

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to see a photo.

It's hard to see it from a picture but the ledge come out toward you. It's about 1/2 of the width of the tank.

IMG_4007.jpg

IMG_4008.jpg

anomeda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's very cool scapes!
I used to build scapes all the time many years ago kinda using your method but with concrete instead(non aquatic scapes)
One can also use how wire cutters which makes it easier to cut the foam base shapes.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Within a few weeks, the decor becomes "live" with bacteria and even algae. In my previous tank, I even had too much coralline algae and even sponges growing that I had never introduced (1 st link). I posted last year asking reefers to identify it. the second link is also from last year in my previous tank showing coral growth on the decor
https://www.reef2reef.com/conversations/i-need-help-please.855217/
https://www.reef2reef.com/conversations/another-one-to-id-please.856291/
Links did not work for me.

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw you other thread regarding your prior tank. Very nice work.

You said that you were buying new corals weekly to fill in the new tank.

If I may ask, what happened to all of the corals that were in your previous tank?
Their size would have helped fill in the voids rather nicely.

OP
OP
Erwan E

Erwan E

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw you other thread regarding your prior tank. Very nice work.

You said that you were buying new corals weekly to fill in the new tank.

If I may ask, what happened to all of the corals that were in your previous tank?
Their size would have helped fill in the voids rather nicely.
The handmade decor that is similar to the one in my current tank is impossible to remove since it is not made of independent rocks. It is also as hard as a rock so I had to take a chisel and a hammer to break it around the corals. Many of the got broken into pieces. Now instead of having huge Montiporas, chalices, cyphastrea, green star... I have a lot of small pieces spread out in the tank and waiting to grow back. In addition, the tank was 50 gallons, this one is 160... I need more corals:)

OP
OP
Erwan E

Erwan E

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I got the 3 yellow and clown tang at the same time to ease the process. I wish I had also bought the power blue and Naso at the same time. Although the clown tang is the nicest guy ever I am concerned about introducing another Acanthurus since these two are notoriously aggressive....

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't 3 yellow tangs in a 160 a lot? I know a clown tang needs more then a 160 gallon tank. They get very big.

OP
OP
Erwan E

Erwan E

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have made the decor so that can circle around... I do have an athlete one which spends his day doing laps:)

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A clown tang will grow over a foot big. They recommend a 250gal tank or bigger for those guys.

OP
OP
Erwan E

Erwan E

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know. I will trade when time comes. I just find them beautiful with electric blue and gold stripes

OP
OP
Erwan E

Erwan E

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do u get the big styrofoam blocks?
I found a place that was manufacturing faux fountains in my area and I asked for scraps. Buying the blocks online can get expensive. Sometimes construction warehouse will have them too

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 110 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 85 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 41 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 13 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.6%
Back