Substrate Question

  • Thread starter Thread starter Aries426
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Aries426

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 18, 2012
Messages
95
Reaction score
0
Location
East Greenwich, RI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to change the substrate that I have in my tank now to a nicer sand. What I would like to know is if there is a way to do it so I don't send the tank into a spike/cycle.

I was thinking of taking all the rock, coral, critters and fish out. Drain the water into buckets and then remove the sand. Then add the new sand return the water then the rock, then everything else. I didn't know if it could be done safely at all.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
 
anytime you mess with the sand you will have a spike, but this can be done and your on the right track,just put the fish in a day or two later than everything else.
 

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new