Success with Powder Blue Tangs

Have you had long term success adding a Powder Blue Tang to an established system

• Total voters

Drendo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read nothing but horror stories about PBTs and would love to hear any success stories. Against my better judgment, my daughter talked me into ordering one from Diver's Den. I will be putting it in my QT for a 6 weeks before adding it to my DT.

I have an established 180 gallon with a Zebra Tang, Blond Naso and Blue Hippo. My Zebra is clearly the tank boss and tried to kill a Gem Tang, so I'm not sure if that works for me or against me. I'm not naive on my chances of success, but would love to hear if anyone has had luck adding one to an established system.

Rrwilson1223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 6 inch Powder Blue in my tank. She’s my favorite fish in my RSR750. Got her from a LFS here in town. She was previously owned and I just got lucky that she eats everything I put in my tank. You can see her in my update videos:

OP
OP
D

Drendo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 6 inch Powder Blue in my tank. She’s my favorite fish in my RSR750. Got her from a LFS here in town. She was previously owned and I just got lucky that she eats everything I put in my tank. You can see her in my update videos:

He is beautiful! It will be interesting to see what happens when you add another tang.

OP
OP
D

Drendo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh boy, nobody else has had success with a PBT?

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take this, it’s dangerous to go alone....

Jerry Barnes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had one now for several years. Never had trouble getting him to eat. He’s a bully with the rest of the tank. He’s also a ich magnet. Seems about once a year he’ll get a case of ich.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always had either a blue or brown. Currently had my blue for over a year now. A 180 with all those other tanga for one, is just too small/crowded. The naso alone will grown over a foot easily.

Depending on how big the pbt your getting is expect ww3 in your tank for at least week or so, hopefully you won’t have any issue but miaur likely you will If all come out of ww3 alive Then success!!

Also best to NOT qt a powder, it’s extremely harsh in them and most likely won’t make it through. Though obviously some do, but numbers are not in favor. It may take 2-3 to get one through.

enjoy!

Colby pierson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added my pbt last and he was easily the smallest. He quickly became on the the most dominant tang in my tank. He has been in my tank for abt 6 months. At one point I though I saw some spot so I added a Uv sterilizer. Never seen spots since

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have had mine for 2 years, he eats nori frozen mysis pellets flake basically any food I put in the tank. Mine is a good citizen and never had Ick.

IMG_2623.JPG

LDog74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a PBT, Gem Tang & white tail bristletooth all purchased from TSM Aquatics. I put them all through a separate QT for 5 weeks. I dropped them all into the 225 gallon display at the same time & knock on wood they all get along very very well. No issues since day one.

OP
OP
D

Drendo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had mine for 2 years, he eats nori frozen mysis pellets flake basically any food I put in the tank. Mine is a good citizen and never had Ick.

IMG_2623.JPG
Wow, your PBT is my hero!

OP
OP
D

Drendo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a PBT, Gem Tang & white tail bristletooth all purchased from TSM Aquatics. I put them all through a separate QT for 5 weeks. I dropped them all into the 225 gallon display at the same time & knock on wood they all get along very very well. No issues since day one.
Wow, all alpha tangs too. The Bristeltooth probably keeps him in check. Congratulations on your success!

BrianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bought one from Liveaquaria 2 years ago. Healthy and happy ever since. I do run an oversized UV so that likely helps with potential Ich. He is however very aggressive, even toward the larger tangs in the tank...and he’s always the bully toward any new additions....

Garets92553

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got one about a month ago. Like 3 days after my purple. No problems got it from a fellow reefer. Had ich show up (all the tangs get when I add them). Just feed heavy tons of nori/selcon oversized uv. All cleared up week later. Everyone is looking good. Just added a lemon peel yesterday.

OP
OP
D

Drendo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added my pbt last and he was easily the smallest. He quickly became on the the most dominant tang in my tank. He has been in my tank for abt 6 months. At one point I though I saw some spot so I added a Uv sterilizer. Never seen spots since
I just put a new bulb in my UV. I'm sure that it is a part of my tank's success as well.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had mine for 2 or 3 years now, threw it in with a yellow and a sailfin tang. The sailfin always minded its own business but the yellow and pbt fought hard for quite a while. I thought I'd have to get rid of the yellow but it's all good these days.

I did ask the lfs to hold the pbt for as long as they were willing to so I could see that it was healthy (think it was 2 weeks) before I brought it home.
20200425_143029.jpg

OP
OP
D

Drendo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always had either a blue or brown. Currently had my blue for over a year now. A 180 with all those other tanga for one, is just too small/crowded. The naso alone will grown over a foot easily.

Depending on how big the pbt your getting is expect ww3 in your tank for at least week or so, hopefully you won’t have any issue but miaur likely you will If all come out of ww3 alive Then success!!

Also best to NOT qt a powder, it’s extremely harsh in them and most likely won’t make it through. Though obviously some do, but numbers are not in favor. It may take 2-3 to get one through.

enjoy!
This guy is coming from Diver's Den, so he has been through QT. I will have him under observation at first and hopefully he doesn't need treatment. You are right, I may opt to place him in the DT as soon as he is eating and I've had enough time to observe him.

Colby pierson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never qt the my pbt. It was the only fish I didn’t because I tried twice before and they both died any half way through qt. I also figured if they have anything they will show it. I do use prazi pro tho

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy is coming from Diver's Den, so he has been through QT. I will have him under observation at first and hopefully he doesn't need treatment. You are right, I may opt to place him in the DT as soon as he is eating and I've had enough time to observe him.
Divers Den doesnt do a real qt, just so ya know for future reference, it’s pretty much just observation. I don’t qt anything so I don’t really care either way.

madgreek

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read nothing but horror stories about PBTs and would love to hear any success stories. Against my better judgment, my daughter talked me into ordering one from Diver's Den. I will be putting it in my QT for a 6 weeks before adding it to my DT.

I have an established 180 gallon with a Zebra Tang, Blond Naso and Blue Hippo. My Zebra is clearly the tank boss and tried to kill a Gem Tang, so I'm not sure if that works for me or against me. I'm not naive on my chances of success, but would love to hear if anyone has had luck adding one to an established system.
I. Have a 180 with a large powder blue For 2+ years and is doing just fine . I also have a large sail fin but he was put in smaller and a year later also have a smaller kole tang I put in with the sail fin. Sail fin grew huge in a year thol. Also have a large maculosis angel Ana changing Emporer ,I’m crossing my fingers .

Back