Sucess if keeping coralivorous b/f in reef setting

awwinterfall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in NJ. I wouldn't mind paying for shipping. Just want healthy fish.
If you are willing, let me know the cost. You can PM me and I'll give you my email. You can send the invoice via paypal to my email.

looking for pair of each

1) chaetodon baronessa/triangulatum
2) chaetodon rainfordi
3) chaetodon bennetti
4) heniochus chrysostomus.

Thanks!

As to me getting and acclimating that would be something for me to consider. Do you live close to Cincinnati. It's just shipping is outrageous right now. An overnight package would be close to 100$ as I'm not a vendor. However if you are close to Cincinnati (I actually live in ky) that would be a lot more doable.

OP
OP
T

Tdog4413

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in NJ. I wouldn't mind paying for shipping. Just want healthy fish.
If you are willing, let me know the cost. You can PM me and I'll give you my email. You can send the invoice via paypal to my email.

looking for pair of each

1) chaetodon baronessa/triangulatum
2) chaetodon rainfordi
3) chaetodon bennetti
4) heniochus chrysostomus.

Thanks!
Ok. I'll do my best. Are you planning on putting all those fish in one aquarium though because I would highly advise against that. B/f particularly ones that are coralivorous can be VERY TERRITORIAL and fight. I had a melon that once it reached sexual maturity killed 3 pakistans larger than itself. Not trying to be bleak but telling you the truth about the nature of these fish. If you have very large aquarium it might be ok but would require very large(250+).

awwinterfall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it thanks! Should I do 1 of each instead of pairs? Rainfordi do well in groups. I've kept those before.
I do have a very large tank.

OP
OP
T

Tdog4413

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it thanks! Should I do 1 of each instead of pairs? Rainfordi do well in groups. I've kept those before.
I do have a very large tank.
If you look photos of b/f on the reef you almost always see them as a pair 1male 1 female. If that was how you would receive it that would be great but chances are really high that you don't receive a Male and female and to be honest b/f are hard to not impossible to sex so chances of getting 2 males of same species may occur and that can spell trouble a sexual maturity. All those butterflyfish you listed are pretty dissimilar and may be fine if only one of each but even then you will definitely need a large aquaria so each can have a territory. Bennett's is pretty peaceful. Triangle( which will most likely be a baronnesa) is a little more quarrelsome. No clue on rainford's or the heniochus as I have never had either one but would treat like any other b/f in respect to temperament. Triangle and Bennett's will be easy to obtain but rainford have only seen a couple of times and the heniochus you mentioned is listed with live aquaria but I don't deal with them(prices too high quality to low). My fish guy uses Quality Marine. That's really the only distributor I trust when ordering specialty items(no fear of getting cyanide sicken fish or mishandled).

awwinterfall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok. I'll do one of each then. Thanks and keep me updated.

If you look photos of b/f on the reef you almost always see them as a pair 1male 1 female. If that was how you would receive it that would be great but chances are really high that you don't receive a Male and female and to be honest b/f are hard to not impossible to sex so chances of getting 2 males of same species may occur and that can spell trouble a sexual maturity. All those butterflyfish you listed are pretty dissimilar and may be fine if only one of each but even then you will definitely need a large aquaria so each can have a territory. Bennett's is pretty peaceful. Triangle( which will most likely be a baronnesa) is a little more quarrelsome. No clue on rainford's or the heniochus as I have never had either one but would treat like any other b/f in respect to temperament. Triangle and Bennett's will be easy to obtain but rainford have only seen a couple of times and the heniochus you mentioned is listed with live aquaria but I don't deal with them(prices too high quality to low). My fish guy uses Quality Marine. That's really the only distributor I trust when ordering specialty items(no fear of getting cyanide sicken fish or mishandled).

OP
OP
T

Tdog4413

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok. I'll do one of each then. Thanks and keep me updated.
As a further note even though I have fish eating aquarium fare I would advise a couple of things for better sucess with these fish. 1. Tankmates. DO NOT HAVE ANY AGGRESSIVE OR EXTREMELY ACTIVE FISH WITH THEM. Damsels, Angelfish(pygmy or reg), mature clownfish(however a pair of juvenile ocellaris would be recommended they help entice feeding,will explain) etc or other b/f (copperrband or a long nose would be ok). These fish will be stressed and you don't want to do anything to in hinder feeding or make more susceptible to disease 2. Quarantine This is the big reason these fish don't make it. You skip it you might as well set your cash on fire. 3. As I mentioned above they will eat aquarium fare however in the newness of your aquarium I would advise getting some live sps coral poc. Stylopora nothing expensive just to entice feeding and placed in different areas of tank. Most lfs have coral discounted that is not really showy. Next take a dead coral skeleton and smear with a paste I will send to you with fish. Place beside live coral and b/f should eat both. It's a clever way to trick them that I find works. Also have a good stock off copepods in aquarium and refugium or sump. If no sump or refugium get one. No sense going forward without one. Amphipods wouldn't hurt either but not necessary. 4. Pristine water. This should be a given but given these guys eat constantly you will have to keep an eye on water quality. 5 Have some non aggressive but good eating fish like a pair of juvenile ocellaris clowns. They will eat on coral smear and cause b/f to at least try. 6. Have a normal day/night schedule on lighting. These are wild animals and bees to replicate their environment as close as possible. If you follow these guidelines you should have sucess with these fish when I'm able to get to you. I've kept fish for over 30 years and to be honest I don't know as much as some would assume because aquatic life like people like to change the rules

awwinterfall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I always quarantine. Will follow feeding instructions.
Do you recommend pods, because they may revert to not eating prepared foods?

from what I read. They need to constantly eat because they get thin easily.

OP
OP
T

Tdog4413

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I always quarantine. Will follow feeding instructions.
Do you recommend pods, because they may revert to not eating prepared foods?

from what I read. They need to constantly eat because they get thin easily.
No not that. It's like an additional insurance because yes these fish are wild. If it was easy everybody would do it. I do it because I like the challenge. Plus you said you kept rainford b/f. I say this so you know what you're in for. More likely than not they will eat shortly after recieving. I mean the prepared diet especially what I send you. I really think I have stumbled on a food that will let aquarist like myself and otherskeep and succeed with the likes of ornates, Meyers, larvatus etc

OP
OP
T

Tdog4413

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No not that. It's like an additional insurance because yes these fish are wild. If it was easy everybody would do it. I do it because I like the challenge. Plus you said you kept rainford b/f. I say this so you know what you're in for. More likely than not they will eat shortly after recieving. I mean the prepared diet especially what I send you. I really think I have stumbled on a food that will let aquarist like myself and otherskeep and succeed with the likes of ornates, Meyers, larvatus etc
Just watch video larvatus I'm keeping now

OP
OP
T

Tdog4413

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just watch video larvatus I'm keeping now
I don't know how long it will take to get b/f but I do have a Bennett's right now. If you want I can ship immediately but I would need payment upfront. I will give you a couple video Plus its WYSWYG. Shipping 140$ from ups and 180 for early am. FedEx was higher let me know what you want

awwinterfall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did it go thru qt already by you?

I don't know how long it will take to get b/f but I do have a Bennett's right now. If you want I can ship immediately but I would need payment upfront. I will give you a couple video Plus its WYSWYG. Shipping 140$ from ups and 180 for early am. FedEx was higher let me know what you want

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How are you measuring your success rate? Months? Years? There have been others over many years that posted having success but it seldom is past a year, usually less, even with the fish eating the whole time but losing weight. I haven't seen any pictures/videos posted by you yet. How about shooting some videos of the BF's eating and keeping a thread, logging and sharing your success.

Last I remember a fish keeper having success was an Asian reefer that was feeding a specific clam species. This was a good 5-6 years ago.

I'd be very interested in following this plus it would help you prove/promote your special food mix was working and get many more people interested in trying to keep these BF's.

OP
OP
T

Tdog4413

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you measuring your success rate? Months? Years? There have been others over many years that posted having success but it seldom is past a year, usually less, even with the fish eating the whole time but losing weight. I haven't seen any pictures/videos posted by you yet. How about shooting some videos of the BF's eating and keeping a thread, logging and sharing your success.

Last I remember a fish keeper having success was an Asian reefer that was feeding a specific clam species. This was a good 5-6 years ago.

I'd be very interested in following this plus it would help you prove/promote your special food mix was working and get many more people interested in trying to keep these BF's.
I have a video on this thread with larvatus and bennetti eating. I'll continue to do so

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a video on this thread with larvatus and bennetti eating. I'll continue to do so

Just that 9 second clip? Can you answer the other questions?

Yes, it would be great if you could show more videos and continued success over the months ahead.

OP
OP
T

Tdog4413

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just that 9 second clip? Can you answer the other questions?

Yes, it would be great if you could show more videos and continued success over the months ahead.
Got some interesting stuff to share. One I have my bennetti b/f eating frozen food now with video to back up.
Second a lfs agreed to team up with and give me a couple of tanks at my disposal and use for those exotic coralivorous b/f that I talk about and rear with my fish food paste. In the coming weeks I will be posting videos to you and prove I have a food that they not only like but sustain and live. I will be quarantining and acclimating these fish for sale. I'll keep you posted. Promise

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got some interesting stuff to share. One I have my bennetti b/f eating frozen food now with video to back up.
Second a lfs agreed to team up with and give me a couple of tanks at my disposal and use for those exotic coralivorous b/f that I talk about and rear with my fish food paste. In the coming weeks I will be posting videos to you and prove I have a food that they not only like but sustain and live. I will be quarantining and acclimating these fish for sale. I'll keep you posted. Promise

Sounds good, keep us posted over the next year with updates. Did you watch the video posted on the Pederson presentation? It's post #5 in this thread.

He shared plenty of info on foods he's used with a year plus success so far, so I really don't think there's any silver bullet special food.

Most have died due to being in poor condition at the start.

OP
OP
T

Tdog4413

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good, keep us posted over the next year with updates. Did you watch the video posted on the Pederson presentation? It's post #5 in this thread.

He shared plenty of info on foods he's used with a year plus success so far, so I really don't think there's any silver bullet special food.

Most have died due to being in poor condition at the start.
You are absolutely right. I'm sorry if I made it sound simple for these fish. They are hard. One they require pristine water. Melons will let you know when something is wrong as they stop eating and breath real hard. Plus they are poor shippers. That's why I said to use quality marine for distribution. And then comes disease. These fish seem to attract gill flukes and ick. Unless you attack in beginning you are wasting time. Use of copper and antiviral/ antibacterial meds helps alot. Plus knowing where fish are handled helps. For instance Sunpet is no go. They come in contact with fish but90% it will die

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back