Sucker for mariculture

asydabass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a sucker for mariculture Acropora. Picked up two Indo pieces earlier today and I’m not entirely sure what they’ll look like. LSF had some blue lights on, but not a great spectrum- took a chance because I liked the growth pattern and they weren’t tenuis, millepora, or a table. Dipping them now and throwing them in QT. Will post photos under 14k and heavy blues/filter tomorrow. Such fun!

38FFA9D0-0D1D-48AE-8692-8F8D50F1714D.jpeg
EB196E6E-728B-498D-B5C9-B2D4D119F3C4.jpeg
7F2A5C83-77B6-4527-9472-CD382B21C509.jpeg

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah dude, I'm sucker for them too! I'll be living through you so looking forward to the pictures tomorrow :)

My LFS is the same, gets in nice mariculture pieces but has them sitting under blue LED bars for the most part. He currently has one from Indo that looks similar in structure to your first one but it appears to be a deep red color under the blue lights. But i wonder is it red.....or is it brown lol.

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed on dipping. In fact if possible do QT it. Just had a chat with LFS and they stressed how important it is to do multiple dips and QT maricultured acros. And remove the coral from the base if possible. Maricultured acros according to them tend to have higher chance of carrying AEFW and Red Bugs.

OP
OP
asydabass

asydabass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a solid Bayer dip last night and planning an interceptor bomb later today. I always remove as much of the frag disc as possible and cover the remaining bit with epoxy/super glue. I passed on buying a third piece solely because it was too encrusted to a pretty large chunky rock and didn’t want to deal with getting the coral off in one piece. During one tank transfer I had to hack up a beautiful colony of monticulosa/robusta because there was no way of removing it whole from its rock. Made me sad.

I have KCl but haven’t really seen a difference between using that and the bayer. But I guess you don’t really see anything when you use bayer, so…

OP
OP
asydabass

asydabass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed on dipping. In fact if possible do QT it. Just had a chat with LFS and they stressed how important it is to do multiple dips and QT maricultured acros. And remove the coral from the base if possible. Maricultured acros according to them tend to have higher chance of carrying AEFW and Red Bugs.
I just assume all mariculture colonies have them and treat accordingly.

OP
OP
asydabass

asydabass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah dude, I'm sucker for them too! I'll be living through you so looking forward to the pictures tomorrow :)

My LFS is the same, gets in nice mariculture pieces but has them sitting under blue LED bars for the most part. He currently has one from Indo that looks similar in structure to your first one but it appears to be a deep red color under the blue lights. But i wonder is it red.....or is it brown lol.
From what I could see at the store the second piece does have some red under blue lights.

At store: first piece

C388207D-CB78-411C-A015-ADA72E362FAA.jpeg

Second piece:
3A238898-DACD-48CA-9636-8E59032F332B.jpeg

OP
OP
asydabass

asydabass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking good!
U love the thick branching acros right?

A friend of mine got this in an import available for sale.. what the heck.. can't go thicker

7A5BE746-9585-42AA-926D-4A204CC64022.jpeg
That’s a solid acro! Get out the jack hammer to frag that bad boy.
Yeah, I’m currently on a thicker acro kick, but I enjoy them all. I’ve actually been obsessing over BC Skinny Love this past week; trying to find a place in the display that would suit it.

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the diversity of coralite sizes on that piece, very cool! It looks it could hold its own in a fight.

yeah right?
it looks so crazy with all the coralites.. never seen such a piece.
my friend received like every 1-2 months such pieces in an import.. but my tank isnt ready for it mature wise i guess.

will def. try one when its ready

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Which LFS? One near garden grove?

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which LFS? One near garden grove?
Yeah buddy. Tongs tropical fish gets in some crazy stuff sometimes. Hard to tell because he dips so harshly but if it’s slow strike up a conversation with him and he’ll show you pictures of pieces from which he ordered. Most people don’t know but if there is a colony on the big tank he’ll frag you a piece as well. I can post some stuff I got there when I’m back near my computer but most my 75 UNS build was corals from tongs.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense. I’ll go in there once or twice per year, when I’m in that area. They do have a nice variety there. Thank you, I’ll try to stop in again soon.
Yeah buddy. Tongs tropical fish gets in some crazy stuff sometimes. Hard to tell because he dips so harshly but if it’s slow strike up a conversation with him and he’ll show you pictures of pieces from which he ordered. Most people don’t know but if there is a colony on the big tank he’ll frag you a piece as well. I can post some stuff I got there when I’m back near my computer but most my 75 UNS build was corals from tongs.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck and hope it goes well for you
however, I have had very poor luck long term with maricultured small colonies. I know others fair better
Alternatively, haver much much better success with Aquacultured frags.
But i know the allure….

By the way, checked out a coral shop/cafe in Melbourne on a business trip this week

check these out…

A34E9752-EC59-4D02-8FD9-E23075B15A13.jpeg
31BDD912-6943-4638-9475-43400BAAB01F.jpeg

OP
OP
asydabass

asydabass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best of luck and hope it goes well for you
however, I have had very poor luck long term with maricultured small colonies. I know others fair better
Alternatively, haver much much better success with Aquacultured frags.
But i know the allure….

By the way, checked out a coral shop/cafe in Melbourne on a business trip this week

check these out…

A34E9752-EC59-4D02-8FD9-E23075B15A13.jpeg
31BDD912-6943-4638-9475-43400BAAB01F.jpeg
Yeah, I’ve ended up with some great mariculture gems and I’ve ended up with some skeletons. One of the colonies I just picked up doesn’t look to be in great condition so my lfs store gave me a great deal on it.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back