Sucker for mariculture

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
theres also a pretty good sized Tenuis colony available for 190 bucks..

not sure how maricultured tenuis do in tanks.. and idea @Smite ?

A303C882-1DBC-44CE-8127-F7EF65AAAE93.jpeg

here also a white light pic @Smite
BD87A100-BA06-47A9-AC40-B1CC164D14BE.jpeg

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@chipchipmofo could be cool but may just end up pretty green? I'd want to see the polyps up close on that one. That's the part of tenuis I love, If I can find one with multicolor polyps I'll take that. Just looking at the tank from the front and top down my eyes are drawn to millepora and smooth skins. I really only start to appreciate tenuis up close or under a macro lens now, when I'm taking pictures.

Tenuis mariculture pieces have been a little more challenging for me. I haven't bought full colonies so maybe that's the difference? My LFS charges a premium for tenuis colonies, $400-800 pending the piece. So I've started with frags but the are so slow to settle and grow for me. I've lost several as well.

Here is one I've got high hopes for. Fairly yellowish for a tenuis and looks like the shaded area will be that nice green some of them get. It also has that two tone polyp coloration I love to see. Here's under t5. But as you can see it's still just a frag and I've had this for probably 18 months now.
TongsBigBird 11.18.jpg

Oh and yes I did lose that one millepora in my tank issues this year. Unfortunately I lost a lot of mariculture gems!

Last edited:

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@chipchipmofo could be cool but may just end up pretty green? I'd want to see the polyps up close on that one. That's the part of tenuis I love, If I can find one with multicolor polyps I'll take that. Just looking at the tank from the front and top down my eyes are drawn to millepora and smooth skins. I really only start to appreciate tenuis up close or under a macro lens now, when I'm taking pictures.

Tenuis mariculture pieces have been a little more challenging for me. I haven't bought full colonies so maybe that's the difference? My LFS charges a premium for tenuis colonies, $400-800 pending the piece. So I've started with frags but the are so slow to settle and grow for me. I've lost several as well.

Here is one I've got high hopes for. Fairly yellowish for a tenuis and looks like the shaded area will be that nice green some of them get. It also has that two tone polyp coloration I love to see. Here's under t5. But as you can see it's still just a frag and I've had this for probably 18 months now.
TongsBigBird 11.18.jpg

Oh and yes I did lose that one millepora in my tank issues this year. Unfortunately I lost a lot of mariculture gems!

well yeah youre right man…
maybe ends up all green for months at least :/ would suck…

Im always sceptic on tenuis maricultured corals though.. especially when I saw how many of his import just died…

wow man… that one is def. a special piece! never saw something similar to this to be honest. Looks very very promising.. i need a frag :p

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been alittle quiet lately, battling ostreopsis dinos and have started losing a couple of colonies.

@chipchipmofo that third colony looks sweet!
Hopefully you make it through with Atleast frags of those colonies, it’s a shame to hear about your fight.

OP
OP
asydabass

asydabass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully you make it through with Atleast frags of those colonies, it’s a shame to hear about your fight.
I think it’s going well? It certainly doesn’t seem out of control. And, knock on wood, so far it’s only select corals that are doing poorly. The rest have just paled out in color.

I was keeping them at bay with a cheap Amazon UV that I already had. I just hooked up a new proper UV unit last night. From my understanding, Ostreopsis are the most toxic, but one of the easiest to eradicat.
-Don

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been alittle quiet lately, battling ostreopsis dinos and have started losing a couple of colonies.

@chipchipmofo that third colony looks sweet!

Hey Don
Well, hopefully the battle against the dinos will be a short fight! You got that brother.

Btw. theres another colony I want to buy..
this one… what do you say?

080B1CFA-15B8-42A2-996D-FC94DC0DD945.jpeg

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s everyone’s mariculture coming along. I’ll update my millepora soon, it’s doing great.

I came across a mariculture piece that looked interesting today just came out of the dip. Almost looks kind of stag like to me but not the best at ID. Anyone have a guess?
F1EA98E5-BCF0-4C47-8779-EA5E800E359B.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 29 55.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 7.7%
Back