Suction Cups for moving aquarium

Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many of you have used those large 8 inch suction cups when lifting/moving an empty tank? Are there any issues or damage to the seams that can happen when using them?

Also,I am looking to rent them from somewhere in the NYC/Westchester area and if anyone knows of a dealer that rents them please let me know.

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ordered them with my Custom Aquariums tank. VERY glad I did. It felt a little pricey but after the deposit refund, it wasn't bad. But they make moving a large tank not just reasonable but doable. Not sure how it could've been moved otherwise.

For reference, 225gal tank.

kirbuno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used four of the harbor freight ones to move a 120. One time use so far but worth the price (cheap). I would use a couple more for a larger tank. The leverage you get with them is so far above just trying to use your hands it doesn't even compare.

OP
OP
Picesduh

Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used four of the harbor freight ones to move a 120. One time use so far but worth the price (cheap). I would use a couple more for a larger tank. The leverage you get with them is so far above just trying to use your hands it doesn't even compare.

Did you use the double one or the single one? I was also going to them but then saw Custom Aquarium offers the button pump ones and those seem more heavy duty, although both say used for 100-125 lbs each

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have used the wide 'appliance' straps that HD and Lowes sell. They are dirt cheap and have come in handy more than a few times for moving other things around the house. Heck, my wife and I (both very average to slender people) moved a big custom made armoire out to a truck and back. We've even used them with 2x4's slide through the loops in the ends of the straps and had 6 or 8 people move 200g and 300g tanks (think guys carrying a casket at a funeral). Once we even used them to move a 120g tank, stand & sump all at one time.

kirbuno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use the double one or the single one? I was also going to them but then saw Custom Aquarium offers the button pump ones and those seem more heavy duty, although both say used for 100-125 lbs each
Double.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many of you have used those large 8 inch suction cups when lifting/moving an empty tank? Are there any issues or damage to the seams that can happen when using them?

Also,I am looking to rent them from somewhere in the NYC/Westchester area and if anyone knows of a dealer that rents them please let me know.
I know this is a old thread but I am trying to decide on what suction cups I can use to move my SCA150 THAT A BEAST.
What are your thoughts on these?

FCHO Glass Suction Cups Heavy Duty Aluminum Vacuum Plate Handle Glass Holder Hooks to Lift Large Glass/Tile Suction Cup Lifter/Moving Glass/Pad for Lifting/Dent Puller (2 Pack)...​

1619966971988.png

Tuffloud1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a old thread but I am trying to decide on what suction cups I can use to move my SCA150 THAT A BEAST.

FCHO Glass Suction Cups Heavy Duty Aluminum Vacuum Plate Handle Glass Holder Hooks to Lift Large Glass/Tile Suction Cup Lifter/Moving Glass/Pad for Lifting/Dent Puller (2 Pack)...​

1619966971988.png

I looked at those but didn’t trust them.

I ended up going with these for my 550 lb, 72x28x30 tank.

They worked great.

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for ppl who look at this thread for ideas..
find who around you rent out some thing like this
1620186818366.png

its called engine hoist or crane. If u don't trust the suction cups to move the tank all the way then use them to move the lifting harness under the tank and then hold it steady while it's being lifted with the hoist.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talked to Steve from SCA and he said my 150 Rimless tank only is around 250lbs. That's why I went with 2 sets of 2 of the FCHO Heavy duty industrial grade suction cups. These suction cups that I got the maximum lifting weight is 200lbs. which will work out perfect for my move. One guy will be on one side with a set and i I will be on the other end of the tank with a set . I will have a 3rd person in the middle just in case..... Episode 2 will be on my new Youtube channel hopefully next weekend.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

1619966971988.png

We used these on our sca 150, I also know of others. No problems

Last edited:

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1619966971988.png

I recently purchased and used those. I was surprised, the suction is quite strong and the handles felt solid made of aluminum. Great value for the price.

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I used these on a slightly larger tank to move it from the floor to the top of the stand. Also used for the 25’ move from the garage but also had some furniture lifting straps as back up as well.

1619966971988.png

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Would anyone
I recently purchased and used those. I was surprised, the suction is quite strong and the handles felt solid made of aluminum. Great value for the price.
Would anyone recommend moving a 180-240 gallon with 2 of these on each side

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used the black large single suction cups. They work well. I'd still have some people with hands under the tank as you won't have enough suction cups for everyone.
D

Back