Sudden death?

Antmonger

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 2, 2018
Messages
13
Reaction score
4
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 240gal reef tank with softy’s and LPS
Alk 10-10.5 range
Ca 420-450 range
Mag 1250-1300 range
Salinity 32
Nitrates 15-20 range
Temp ranges 78.1
Radion xr30 light it has been on the same schedule for years

I started to do maintenance, as-well as needing algae removal from the glass and I noticed something strange? All the fish started to freak out almost like they were dying and started to breathe heavily!!! But the only thing I had noticed was that my ORP dropped .!!

So I immediately added prime and tossed in an air stone. It seemed to help. Has this happened to anyone before or have you seen this happen before .??

(30 mins) - valentine puffer and the maroon clown have passed but all the other fish seem to be alright.
 
I wonder if I potentially have toxic algae….
And the OPR dropped from the Prime “dechlorinator”
In your original timeline, it looked like you added Prime after you saw an ORP drop. I still think some chemical reduction happened that took up the available oxygen.

The fish were affected, but how about any invertebrates?

Jay
 
Upvote 0
In your original timeline, it looked like you added Prime after you saw an ORP drop. I still think some chemical reduction happened that took up the available oxygen.

The fish were affected, but how about any invertebrates?

Jay
Invertebrates are still alive
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I've actually heard of this happening in dense sand beds during cleaning. Gasses build up in the sand bed, including under the rocks, then when disturbed they are ejected into the water column with negative effects on the fish. H2S is commonly referred to as one of those gasses that forms under anoxic conditions.
 
Upvote 0
In your original timeline, it looked like you added Prime after you saw an ORP drop. I still think some chemical reduction happened that took up the available oxygen.

The fish were affected, but how about any invertebrates?

Jay
He’s got a pretty decent sand bed.
If he was getting low into the sand bed with the Mag Float he could have released some H2SO4, although he might have noticed a sudden smell.

Ive seen it before. (smelt it really)
 
Upvote 0

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%

New Posts

Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new