I have a 240gal reef tank with softy’s and LPS
Alk 10-10.5 range
Ca 420-450 range
Mag 1250-1300 range
Salinity 32
Nitrates 15-20 range
Temp ranges 78.1
Radion xr30 light it has been on the same schedule for years

I started to do maintenance, as-well as needing algae removal from the glass and I noticed something strange? All the fish started to freak out almost like they were dying and started to breathe heavily!!! But the only thing I had noticed was that my ORP dropped .!!

So I immediately added prime and tossed in an air stone. It seemed to help. Has this happened to anyone before or have you seen this happen before .??

(30 mins) - valentine puffer and the maroon clown have passed but all the other fish seem to be alright.

OP
OP
Antmonger

Antmonger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
whites-

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 78
Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 240gal reef tank with softy’s and LPS
Alk 10-10.5 range
Ca 420-450 range
Mag 1250-1300 range
Salinity 32
Nitrates 15-20 range
Temp ranges 78.1
Radion xr30 light it has been on the same schedule for years

I started to do maintenance, as-well as needing algae removal from the glass and I noticed something strange? All the fish started to freak out almost like they were dying and started to breathe heavily!!! But the only thing I had noticed was that my ORP dropped .!!

So I immediately added prime and tossed in an air stone. It seemed to help. Has this happened to anyone before or have you seen this happen before .??

(30 mins) - valentine puffer and the maroon clown have passed but all the other fish seem to be alright.
It may be related to the tank cleaning - if something lowered the dissolved oxygen, the ORP would drop and the fish would start gasping and could die. Maybe you opened up an anaerobic area in the tank?
Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Antmonger

Antmonger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be related to the tank cleaning - if something lowered the dissolved oxygen, the ORP would drop and the fish would start gasping and could die. Maybe you opened up an anaerobic area in the tank?
Ja
so scraping algae off the glass could causing oxygen level to drop suddenly? Unless I have a strange type of algae.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so scraping algae off the glass could causing oxygen level to drop suddenly? Unless I have a strange type of algae.
Did you move rocks around? There can be pockets of low oxygen below them. Did you add any reducing agents like dechlorinator? There are only a few things that cause a rapid drop in ORP.
Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Antmonger

Antmonger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you move rocks around? There can be pockets of low oxygen below them. Did you add any reducing agents like dechlorinator? There are only a few things that cause a rapid drop in ORP.
Jay
Yes I added prime air right after I notice my fish started to lay on the sand bed.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Antmonger

Antmonger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
And no I did not move any rocks around.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Antmonger

Antmonger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you wash your hands before putting in the tank? If there was residual soap, that could lead to a temporary dip in O2 levels
My suggestion was some sort of toxin on your arms. BTW - when the algae was scraped off the glass - it also could have released something - depending on what it was.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Oxygen levels and Salinity is a bit low (take up to 34-35ppt)
Nitrate moving to Upper/high range assuming theyre no higher due to false results.

Upvote 0

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back