Sudden HIGH nitrates, whats going on?

jimmypencil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got back from a week long vacation a few days ago and nitrates are reading over 75 on hanna nitrate HR. there are so many factors and im overwhelmed. Corals all look good but i have had a hair algae issue recently. ive done multiple water changes in the past 3 days and nitrates still read 75 today.

my normal routine is to test nitrates and phosphates every 3 days and dose neophos and neonitro if they drop below these levels, i keep nitrates between 15-20 and phosphate .05-.1. for testing i use hanna phosphate and nyos nitrate but i ran out of my nyos nitrate drops and just received a new nyos kit yesterday. the kit read 45-65ppm and i was really surprised. I tried the old kit with the new drops and it read 12. i guess my old kit was always reading wrong/low and i just kept dumping nitrate in? i just got nitrate hr hanna checker half an hour ago and ive tested twice and its reading 75+ both times.

there are so many things going on so im just gonna list off things that could have caused very sudden high nitrates.

- my girlfriend was feeding the tank for a week while i was gone, i showed her exactly how i feed and i highly doubt she fed such an insane amount of food to skyrocket my nitrates but its possible. every day i feed flakes and pellets in the morning and either nano reef frenzy or a cube of mysis in the evening.

- i recently took a brush and scrubbed all of the hair algae in my tank before a water change. i did this the day i got back before a 10% water change and i also did this yesterday before a 25% water change.

- according to my nyos kit ive used for months (which is apparently wrong/low) my tank absorbs 8-10 ppm nitrate per week and so ive dosed 10ppm neonitro weekly for quite a while. maybe i kept dosing based off false readings?

-i run a skimmer that i have to empty every 2-3 days, filter floss i change every 4 days, chemi pure blue and a bunch of bio balls. this hasnt changed since i set up the tank. i recently changed out my chemi pure blue.

Cant think of anything else that couldve caused this. there have been no livestock deaths that i have noticed. What should i do to lower these numbers? i have a tunze algae reactor that i still havent taken out of the box so maybe i should order some chaeto and set that up?

Here is the tank right now, looks pretty good so im afraid to take major action without asking you guys what might be going on.

tank.jpg

BanZI29

Still just a reefer noob!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there any fish missing? has anything died and got left in the tank? thats what happened to me. A fish died and I couldn't find it. my nitrates jumped. when I finally found it and did a water change, Nitrates dropped.

OP
OP
jimmypencil

jimmypencil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there any fish missing? has anything died and got left in the tank? thats what happened to me. A fish died and I couldn't find it. my nitrates jumped. when I finally found it and did a water change, Nitrates dropped.
definitely no fish dead. i cant find anything dead.

i did add 20 blue leg hermits and 6 emerald crabs recently. Maybe they have been killing/eating a lot of snails that i cant find? would a dead turbo snail cause a massive nitrate spike like this even after the 30% water change ive done in the past couple days?

BanZI29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
definitely no fish dead. i cant find anything dead.

i did add 20 blue leg hermits and 6 emerald crabs recently. Maybe they have been killing/eating a lot of snails that i cant find? would a dead turbo snail cause a massive nitrate spike like this even after the 30% water change ive done in the past couple days?
not likely, have you stopped adding the neonitro?

OP
OP
jimmypencil

jimmypencil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not likely, have you stopped adding the neonitro?
i haven't dosed neo nitro since i left about 10 days ago. a couple days before i left for the vacation i realized i was out of drops for my nyos nitrate, so i dosed 8ppm nitrate of neonitro just so i didnt have to worry about nutrients bottoming out while i was gone.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my girlfriend was feeding the tank for a week while i was gone, i showed her exactly how i feed and i highly doubt she fed such an insane amount of food to skyrocket my nitrates but its possible.
#1 - People who aren’t used to feeding fish almost always feed too much. Next time prepare the food in advance in small containers so she only has to open it and dump it in the tank.

I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s your problem.

#2 - Dosing Neonitro while using a faulty test.

Those 2 things would explain it. The nitrates were already high and you didn’t know it and your girlfriend just added oil to the fire.

BanZI29

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe when i was brushing the hair algae on the rocks it kicked up a bunch of detritus? i did it yesterday right before a 25% water change but i think its a possible culprit.
thats possible. keep up your water changes and watch your skimmer, see how much you have to empty it. if your nitrates are not down by thurs. I would recommend a big water change.

OP
OP
jimmypencil

jimmypencil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you guys think i should stop feeding frozen maybe for the rest of this week? im sure the fish would be ok with just pellets and flakes for that long lol. im going to try to do 10% water changes every other day and continue testing. also going to set up the algae reactor if it comes to that.

OP
OP
jimmypencil

jimmypencil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my ati icp test back and my nitrates are at 150. Guess it will be a while before I read anything other than 75+ on the Hanna nitrate test lol. Gonna order some chaeto for this algae reactor. I have the tunze 3181, anyone have luck with that?

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have learned a lot from your experience! Thank you!
  • Dose chemicals with caution and have reliable testing equipment
  • do staycation instead of vacation :winking-face:
Other method of testing parameter which is out of range of your testing equipment is to do dilution.
Good luck with your tank!

OP
OP
jimmypencil

jimmypencil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have learned a lot from your experience! Thank you!
  • Dose chemicals with caution and have reliable testing equipment
  • do staycation instead of vacation :winking-face:
Other method of testing parameter which is out of range of your testing equipment is to do dilution.
Good luck with your tank!
Lol thanks! Very surprised I haven’t seen a negative effect on sps so far. I’ll make sure to lower nutrients slowly I guess.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you guys think i should stop feeding frozen maybe for the rest of this week? im sure the fish would be ok with just pellets and flakes for that long lol. im going to try to do 10% water changes every other day and continue testing. also going to set up the algae reactor if it comes to that.
Flakes are worse than frozen for nitrates. Pellets I’m not sure but usually lots of it goes to waste.

I would feed small portions of frozen, with a pipette, so fish get to it before it flies away. It’s better to feed multiple small portions than 1 big one.

OP
OP
jimmypencil

jimmypencil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-Flakes are worse than frozen for nitrates. Pellets I’m not sure but usually lots of it goes to waste.

I would feed small portions of frozen, with a pipette, so fish get to it before it flies away. It’s better to feed multiple small portions than 1 big one.
oh wow that changes everything, i was thinking dry food = phosphate, frozen food = nitrates.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back