Suddenly having issues with Cyanobacteria

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do dose Fuel once a week at 1/2 the required amount on direction and Acro Power the same way. I alternate between weeks
Probably a good idea to pause dosing until your cyano problem is solved. :)

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My TDS is starting to read “1” I will have to service RODI unit asap. Do I have to change out all filters? My unit has

2 Carbon Blocks
1 Sediment
DI Resin
RO Membrane

Which replacement kit should I get from BRS?
Here's a thread I have going on right now that could help you understand when and why to change what filters on your RODI unit. You'll get the jist of it off the 1st pg but reading the whole thing can help you get a good understanding of how diagnose some issues with RODI units too.

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/330601/

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I’ve made a few posts here regarding cyano and algae etc I snapped some pics of the current status in my tank. Rather than yet another new thread I’ll plop them here for visual assessment from others.

379c3aa5471dd02f21d6299d7e92033f.jpg
25cd73b97c4bc54340187c6a5d489873.jpg
8e3b56b22e8b6884dbc45c2642e6829e.jpg
463a27dbaeca50243916187a0943178e.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I’ve made a few posts here regarding cyano and algae etc I snapped some pics of the current status in my tank. Rather than yet another new thread I’ll plop them here for visual assessment from others.

379c3aa5471dd02f21d6299d7e92033f.jpg
25cd73b97c4bc54340187c6a5d489873.jpg
8e3b56b22e8b6884dbc45c2642e6829e.jpg
463a27dbaeca50243916187a0943178e.jpg
Toothbrush.
Look at your ph first thing in the am, and right before lights out. Maybe mid day.
Some kalkwasser in the ato might help. Look at more snails.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toothbrush.
Look at your ph first thing in the am, and right before lights out. Maybe mid day.
Some kalkwasser in the ato might help. Look at more snails.
I did the toothbrush treatment to some of the rock last water change, it all comes off fairly easily. I didn't do the rock in the photos because the blenny was hiding in it at the time. :rolleyes: And I have scraped it off the back wall...3 times now it's comeback has slowed, but I also was using Vibrant which I've stopped for the time being. The water is staying clear, but the rusty algae is coming back on the glass more frequently.

I have been under the assumption this is just a hair algae issue...I hope? As that's easier to kick than bryopsis.

I am going to guess pH is low, as it's low in my other tank with a probe. As in...7.6 to 7.9 depending. Lows in the morning, "highs" after the photoperiod. I never have pH readings at 8.0 or above now that windows are closed full time in the house.

I do have some MarinePure spheres in one of the back chambers...if nutrients are low (maybe? maybe not?) should I pull them?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the toothbrush treatment to some of the rock last water change, it all comes off fairly easily. I didn't do the rock in the photos because the blenny was hiding in it at the time. :rolleyes: And I have scraped it off the back wall...3 times now it's comeback has slowed, but I also was using Vibrant which I've stopped for the time being. The water is staying clear, but the rusty algae is coming back on the glass more frequently.

I have been under the assumption this is just a hair algae issue...I hope? As that's easier to kick than bryopsis.

I am going to guess pH is low, as it's low in my other tank with a probe. As in...7.6 to 7.9 depending. Lows in the morning, "highs" after the photoperiod. I never have pH readings at 8.0 or above now that windows are closed full time in the house.

I do have some MarinePure spheres in one of the back chambers...if nutrients are low (maybe? maybe not?) should I pull them?
Besides the tooth brush , try not to do too many things at at one or too fast. I'd bet the vibrant is one of the root causes. It has an organic carbon source and kills alge so your seeing that w the cyano and the brown stuff.

I'd honestly look at a bit of the ph kalk boost, water changes as Normal or weekly if your motivated and time.

It's just going to take a little time to get back to balance.

Yup, I said take two aspirin and call me in the morning.

Fwiw, I've worked with folks for theee pages on cyano to have them finally say, I'm using vibrant.
So it's common.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides the tooth brush , try not to do too many things at at one or too fast. I'd bet the vibrant is one of the root causes. It has an organic carbon source and kills alge so your seeing that w the cyano and the brown stuff.

I'd honestly look at a bit of the ph kalk boost, water changes as Normal or weekly if your motivated and time.

It's just going to take a little time to get back to balance.

Yup, I said take two aspirin and call me in the morning.

Fwiw, I've worked with folks for theee pages on cyano to have them finally say, I'm using vibrant.
So it's common.
After reading through this thread, that's when I quit the Vibrant, but obviously still have something going on. The cyano was kicked with Chemiclean (right or wrong) and after it went away, I've gotten more of the brown situation on the sand/areas the cyano used to occupy.

I actually had laid off water changes for a bit, but will probably do one this weekend sometime again and take the toothbrush to the remaining rocks if I can.

I will try a bit of kalk in my next ATO fill (probably due soon) and see how that goes.

I am trying to be patient with it all as I feel it just needs to get back some kind of balance, but mostly wanted to see if I was battling hair algae or the dreaded bryopsis. But, hey, the corals in there seem relatively happy (except the ones being swallowed by the algae) so...there is that at least.

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a thread I have going on right now that could help you understand when and why to change what filters on your RODI unit. You'll get the jist of it off the 1st pg but reading the whole thing can help you get a good understanding of how diagnose some issues with RODI units too.

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/330601/

here is a pic of my current DI Resin

651b2221a9c3c567d660a388881852e9.jpg

724a593c9406ed0f589b82f43672c457.jpg

fishbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure but I do think it seems exhausted
Ummm... Yeah just a little! I'm surprised that you're only getting 1 tds. I can't remember but did you confirm that you have dinos from a microscope? The reason I ask is with the DI resin being exhausted things like silicates could be seeping through which could cause diatoms.

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummm... Yeah just a little! I'm surprised that you're only getting 1 tds. I can't remember but did you confirm that you have dinos from a microscope? The reason I ask is with the DI resin being exhausted things like silicates could be seeping through which could cause diatoms.

I ordered BRS 4 Stage value kit, comes with DI Resin, One 1 micron sediment Filter and One 1 micron carbon block

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why does water changes cause outbreaks if your are removing nutrients with water changes

Because some trace elements like molybdenum for example get used up slowing its growth, and when you do a water change it brings back some molybenum and it starts to grow again.

Not only do algae/bacteria require phosphorus and nitrogen but also trace elements like iron/molybdenum/zinc. If one of them gets too low it stops growing.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because some trace elements like molybdenum for example get used up slowing its growth, and when you do a water change it brings back some molybenum and it starts to grow again.

Not only do algae/bacteria require phosphorus and nitrogen but also trace elements like iron/molybdenum/zinc. If one of them gets too low it stops growing.
Yup.
As it turns out , it's actually salt mix dependent. It doesn't always happen.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*UPDATE* all cyano is pretty much gone! Been doing weekly water changes of 5 gallons, stopped dosing MB7 and Vibrant. Cleaned out detritus in sump. Also replaced sediment, Carbon, DI resin and TDS is “0”
Sweeeet!!

OP
OP
CoralReefer1019

CoralReefer1019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

how’s does one combat this?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%

Back