SUDDENLY LETHARGIC FISH

EASTERN INDIGO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
350 GAL. 1.024. ESTABLISHED 19 MONTHS. 77F. NO AMMON, TRITE MAYBE, 60 TRATE. FOWLR. 50% WC every 4 to 6 weeks.

This is a stand alone system and since inception, 19 months, NOTHING has been added to that tank. Totally isolated. Water source isolated. Instant ocean. 7 fish. Three days ago my smallish hogfish started hanging out in one spot. Now he/she is almost dead. Looks PERFECT.

Also, my 220, in a different room, EXACT SAME PERAMETERS, 4 fish. Same 19 months. Regal Angel, two small blue jaw triggers, one with a yellow tail, one with a pink tail, and a small wrasse. I have observed zero aggression in the tank. Around the same time as the hog fish, the yellow tail trigger began exhibiting the same behavior. Still alive and looks perfect. Coincidence?

Of course, it is not TOTALLY impossible that something is in my system, although I am EXTREMELY careful about not cross contaminating ANYTHING. Nothing is perfect.

Thoughts?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When is the last time you introduced a fish, and which one was it. Any loss of appetite, there are indicators of disease like internal parasites that does cause lethargy and visually you may not see. Stringy poo as well as cloudy eyes are something to look for. Flukes also may present lethargy and the fish may be hanging towards the surface or in a high flow area.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back