Suggest A Fish

Caleb1266

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I have an 8’ 150g AIO FOWLR tank, and I am looking for 1 or 2 fish to add to the tank. It is currently housing the following:
  • 4” Red Tooth Trigger
  • 4” Foxface Lo
  • 5” Volitan Lionfish
  • 3” Falco Hawkfish
  • 8” Yellowhead Moray Eel
  • 7” Snowflake Eel
I am looking to add something that can handle the current stock list that will add some color to the tank. I have had tangs in the past before I had a UV filter and QT and needless to say had bad luck. I may be willing to go for a tang again I feel more comfortable with adding one the right way. Tell me what you would add if it was your tank and also does anyone have thoughts on adding a blue jaw or pink tail trigger with a trigger already established in the tank. Thanks guys!

welsher7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a heniochus banner fish, or one of the thalassoma wrasses (lunare, banana, or pink face).

What are the dimensions of the tank? A 8' 150g tank must be awfully narrow, especially if part of the width is for the filtration. Knowing the dimensions will help with suggestions.

Last edited:

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CF526A8C-26D5-4E02-8BD4-3C8F04121594.jpeg

@welsher7 makes a good point— you are probably at a narrow 18”, right? But here is my Heniochus Singularis. They get quite large— about the size of my outstretched hand.

OP
OP
Caleb1266

Caleb1266

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CF526A8C-26D5-4E02-8BD4-3C8F04121594.jpeg

@welsher7 makes a good point— you are probably at a narrow 18”, right? But here is my Heniochus Singularis. They get quite large— about the size of my outstretched hand.
Yeah the filter narrows it to 14” wide which is pretty lame but with 8’ of swim space it has really never been an issue.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to use it 3 days to a week, depending on whether the ‘vibe’ is that the new addition is being checked out, or ignored. I also use the magnets to move the box around the tank, trying to spend a day or so in other fishes private ‘territory.’

kboogie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contrary to popular opinion, your current inhabitants are not really that aggressive. Your yellow-headed moray is probably the most aggressive of the bunch. You just need to avoid small fish. In my personal experience with similar inhabitants, Lunare Wrasses are highly likely to become terrors. Mine was more aggressive than any fish I've had in the past including adult Clown Triggers. It would attack fish significantly larger than it. It would be so aggressive during feeding it prevented the other fish from eating. I had to remove him.

If you try tangs again the Zebramosas are going to be your best bet with the Purple Tang being my recommendation.

I'm a huge fan of Harlequin Tusks but I haven't had success with my last two, they never ate (one Aussie and another from Bali). Plan on giving it a third shot soon using a QT tank to house it at first until it eats all my foods aggressively then I'll add it to my display tank. I'm currently doing that with a Powder Blue Tang, two weeks in QT and it is eating my foods aggressively, I'm going to get him super fat then move him to the display tank.

I love Cuban Hogfish, when they get big they can be a bit bossy but I think you will be fine.

A Passer Angelfish would have no issue with more aggressive tank mates.

My Red Tooth Trigger is joy, he is very passive. My mail Squamipinnis anthias is way more aggressive than my Red Tooth trigger.

I like the Parrotfish idea as well.

OP
OP
Caleb1266

Caleb1266

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contrary to popular opinion, your current inhabitants are not really that aggressive. Your yellow-headed moray is probably the most aggressive of the bunch. You just need to avoid small fish. In my personal experience with similar inhabitants, Lunare Wrasses are highly likely to become terrors. Mine was more aggressive than any fish I've had in the past including adult Clown Triggers. It would attack fish significantly larger than it. It would be so aggressive during feeding it prevented the other fish from eating. I had to remove him.

If you try tangs again the Zebramosas are going to be your best bet with the Purple Tang being my recommendation.

I'm a huge fan of Harlequin Tusks but I haven't had success with my last two, they never ate (one Aussie and another from Bali). Plan on giving it a third shot soon using a QT tank to house it at first until it eats all my foods aggressively then I'll add it to my display tank. I'm currently doing that with a Powder Blue Tang, two weeks in QT and it is eating my foods aggressively, I'm going to get him super fat then move him to the display tank.

I love Cuban Hogfish, when they get big they can be a bit bossy but I think you will be fine.

A Passer Angelfish would have no issue with more aggressive tank mates.

My Red Tooth Trigger is joy, he is very passive. My mail Squamipinnis anthias is way more aggressive than my Red Tooth trigger.

I like the Parrotfish idea as well.
I actually dealt with the same issues regarding a Lunare Wrasse, my Red Tooth is definitely an aggressor and seems to be the pseudo tank boss behind the Lion, who seems to go by the speak softly and carry a big stick philosophy. As far as the eels they are easy and peaceful. I will be rehoming my hawkfish shortly due to the soon to be size disparity. I like the Passer Angel option, thanks for the suggestion. I hope your future additions pan out and I will be using the same acclimation philosophy for any additions to the DT. Thanks!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%
Back