suggestions appreciated

johnston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok guys I joined yesterday kinda late so I thought I would come back a little earlier today. im cleaning my tank closet now and was hoping for suggestions. I will list my thoughts and wait for replys on my build.
tank tbo is 72l x 37.5 h x 24d glass with stainless frame powder coated I want to add the hidden overflows im thinking ?
I have 3 radionx30
im thinking eshopps royale 400 for sump
protein skimmer open for suggestions currently thinking of staying with eshopps
bio reactor need suggestions
return pump want suggestions
I will have a complete apex trident system for daily water changes ato monitoring and so forth
gyre pumps suggestions on how many and size
heater size and brand?
did I miss anything crucial or recommendations
one last thing im gonna replace my rodi filter suggestions on this definitely needed that's has changed a lot since I bought the last one

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

For flow I would suggest 2 gyres. If you want to run them via apex, I suggest 2x fx280's. I would think the 300 series will be apex compatible someday but as of now it is not.
I would add at least 3 Apex wav's to the back wall

Return pump...
You have many options. Cor 20 (apex) vectra L1 or Jeabo. I have a jeabo 15000 that has been in service for 4 years problem free!

Skimmer...
Again, plenty of options depending on what you want and your budget.

OP
OP
johnston

johnston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep just filled old tank after 5 years dry cant unsee the scratches ordering newtank Tuesday thoughts on the hidden overflows vs traditional overflows??

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That kinda depends on weather you want the tank close to the wall or not. Also if you want the overflow inside the tank or outside.
Either way is good but outside adds more real estate in the tank. Outside let's the tank be closer to a wall not sticking out as much.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ welcome! then I would do ext. overflows if that is the case. but that's just me. I had a 90 cube years ago and the dang internal overflow was huge. should of got it ext.

I will be running a pair of Gyre 350s on my RS650P all look in to the VCA random flow generators on your return line.

OP
OP
johnston

johnston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow I like those a lot definitely gonna incorporate it one of my biggest issues in the past was a flow I was happy with

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with a 3-4 foot long ghost overflow. For a skimmer, I recommend the reef octopus regal. That thing is a BEAST! Cup o mud weekly on my dads 150. For flow I personally like the mp40’s but if you’re set on gyres, 2 330’s should be enough. Since you have the apex, I would definitely go with the cor. The vectras are very nice as well but they have had some issues. As for a heater, I would go with 2 cobalt 200w (that’s what Ive been using for years with no issues at all). And for reactors, banshea makes nice reactors ;)

OP
OP
johnston

johnston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so I am probally gonna be a little anal on this tank fir I want as perfect and low maintainace as possible so on my refugium I am definitely going with the eshopps royale 400 would in be beneficial or detrimental to have a external refugium before it with a built in filter roller or would it be a piping nightmare romm isn't a issue??

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so I am probally gonna be a little anal on this tank fir I want as perfect and low maintainace as possible so on my refugium I am definitely going with the eshopps royale 400 would in be beneficial or detrimental to have a external refugium before it with a built in filter roller or would it be a piping nightmare romm isn't a issue??
Are you set on a refugium? What about a scrubber Instead?

OP
OP
johnston

johnston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want a refugium but am open for suggestions I just want to do this right the first time I don't have time to do it twice lol

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest Aqua FX ro/di unit. I believe it's the barracuda.
Great ro/di at good price.
I believe it's less expensive than the BRS unit which would be my next recommendation.

Either one of these units would be fine. Get the least expensive one.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah that was the direction I was headed but my better sense took over looking at the barracuda now
I have the barracuda 100gpd unit. I've had it for about 4 years and have been very happy with it.
I also have their booster pump.

To save money, you don't have to get any accessories at first but in the future, a pressure gauge, TDS meter and booster pump will make life easier for you.
Along with a membrane flush kit and auto shut off kit.

Be sure to compare BRS prices to Aqua FX prices.
You absolutely can mix and match parts between the two.
Go with the least expensive option between Aqua FX and BRS.
Also, check craigslist and other sites like that. Nothing wrong with a used unit. Just be sure to get new media.

OP
OP
johnston

johnston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at the aqua fx from franks tanks at 249.00 it comes with tds meter and gauge auto shutoff and manual flush I think it said barracuda glacial

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm.. 270 gallons or near about. How about sea swirls or an equivalent on the returns? Variable flow is always nice. I am less a fan of Gyre style pumps.. AM more a fan of the powerhead styles of Vortex and Tunze.

For RODI, I don't think it would much matter but I would look at a 4 (or 5) can system + RO filter. Prices are not going to be much different overall. would look more at what you are fgoing to be using for media or how you want to tackle you incoming water. Definitely get a TDS meter right off in my opinion. You want to know what you are going to be making your saltwater out of in the end.

I would start with a refugium and if unsatisfied, you should have the room to change out for a turf scrubber.

For skimmers, the only real differences are in if they are AC or DC driven. don't over size it either.. Less efficient in my opinion. My preference is for a DC pump and suggest Reef Octopus. but you can go less expensive, like I said they all do the same thing. For a return pump, Consider a Varios.

Overall, you know how much money you have to spend. If you don't have a money tree in your yard, you will have to cut corners in some places during start up. You could always buy in intervals.. and set it up in a year.. :) I know I couldn't..

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back