Suggestions for flow in a new 80 Gallon Shallow Reef Build

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK what am I missing here you can see from this picture how I had the plumbing or still have it because I haven't changed it yet the T with half a union I used for water changes. I have a line that comes from my saltwater mixing station. I will now just use a hose set up and fill the display when I get things the way I want them I will post pictures I also have a drain right next to my aquarium. I will build another syphon set up that uses different lengths of pipe for the different amounts of gallons you want to remove.
The T in the back that has the half inch ball valve I was using for my reactors did not like it. The pressure never seemed right maybe because I ran them in series off of that one line I'm really not sure.
So I left the reactors there but just ran them off a separate pump and my sump. But that was jamming it in next to my skimmer motor. So running everything from one pump is much better for my space I believe.
But back to the way it is running or was running you can see what timing I have the pump was post to have 1321 gph and I could do no better than 550 gph.
So I am right back to is the pump I have going to work. I will be running fresh water and bleach to sterilize my whole system once I get it re plumbed so I should be able to check out my pressures and find everything out.
If I have time I would like to play with that paint program some more man I could put a better understanding of what's in my mind that I'm doing down on paper so people can see it.

cloakerpoked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screen Shot 2021-04-05 at 9.20.26 AM.png
I want to make sure I understand this picture. 3 runs along the whole length of your sump, and then connects to the return line in the tank correct? This is where you propose to add your manifold for the three reactors. I don't really understand what 1 or 2 are doing, but maybe I'm misunderstanding what I think I'm seeing for 3.

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your drawing is right all I plan on doing is taking the old plumbing out and replacing with a 90. So it will be out of return pump as you can see and the a elbow at the back where it runs along the back wall and the like you have in your drawing lines for 3 reactors.

Attachments

• plumbing.png
    plumbing.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 52
OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can i ask why the bleach? Ty
-d
Because I did not Quarantine a Chromis and payed the price by getting Uronema marinum in my Aquarium.
And before that I switched to a new Aquarium from my old one and also did a bad job because I brought the Vermetid Snails. So this time I am not taking any chances. I am redoing allot and Sterilizing everything.

cloakerpoked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1617638854806.png

For efficiency's sake, I'd set it up like this instead. This will guarantee enough flow into the reactors. The way you it designed is problematic for the reactors, because there isn't necessarily going to be a lot of back pressure into the reactor lines due to how easy the straight shot is to go to the tank. Forcing them into the primary manifold first gives you easier control over the flow rate into the reactor manifold. You'd just run the return branch wide open, and open the ball valve to the reactor manifold to get the flow you need into that particular branch. Theoretically, the pressure in both lines is potentially equal, so with a pump pushing 1000 gph, you'd get 500gph in both lines if both ball valves are open. By restricting one line, you reduce the flow rate there, which increases the rate of the other one.

I would at least try this set up with the Sicce before replacing the pump. I think if you design an efficient system like this you may get the flow rate you're looking for with the pump you already have. I could be wrong...but once we knew what those numbers were, I could give you a better suggestion for an upgrade pump.

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I getting there I see what u are saying and it sure does look like the way to go. For the manifold it looks like you have it capped on both ends. Not sure if it's needed but wondering if it should have a outlet with a Ball Valve on one end to give me more control if needed but I don't think so

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried but no luck with the 3D paint frustrating but this is what I cam up with . The Primary manifold will be on the wall behind the sump because I don't think I can fit it the way you have showed

Attachments

• zn3Dmym9QHuSjtmaiXstCA.jpg
    zn3Dmym9QHuSjtmaiXstCA.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 53

cloakerpoked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I mean hypothetically, the primary manifold could be oriented vertically rather than horizontally if you wanted to. In three dimensional space, as long as the lines out of the manifold are running parallel, you'll get the same flow in both. Even if not it can be ok, as long as they are close to each other, and not around curves. The big issue with the original design was that long straight shot that was 100% open going back to the tank, but the new design addresses that issue.

You can add more ball valves if you want to, but it is not necessary. Hypothetically, by partially closing all ball valves leading into the manifolds, the result would be the same as closing 1 ball valve at the pump. In all of the manifold systems that I've used, the ends are capped.

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I mean hypothetically, the primary manifold could be oriented vertically rather than horizontally if you wanted to. In three dimensional space, as long as the lines out of the manifold are running parallel, you'll get the same flow in both. Even if not it can be ok, as long as they are close to each other, and not around curves. The big issue with the original design was that long straight shot that was 100% open going back to the tank, but the new design addresses that issue.

You can add more ball valves if you want to, but it is not necessary. Hypothetically, by partially closing all ball valves leading into the manifolds, the result would be the same as closing 1 ball valve at the pump. In all of the manifold systems that I've used, the ends are capped.
No I understand everything we are talking about I just am not sure how I will be able to configure the plumbing in the space I have to be honest I really won't know until I actually start working with the pipe how it will workout and not have the extra elbow that would be involved if I did a vertical manifold. But as far as the long run to the tank and what was happening I totally understand so I will make it work it's just a matter of putting the puzzle together.

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay here's what I have. Some of it is glued but as You can see I need some schedule 80 fittings to finish everything and 2 mounts for the reactor manifold so I can make everything neat.

Attachments

• jbvMtAJjRZaKFyu0rIQi1A.jpg
    jbvMtAJjRZaKFyu0rIQi1A.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 42
  • ujAJHMBRQbyB30V3biceGQ.jpg
    ujAJHMBRQbyB30V3biceGQ.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 42
  • SyBFQ7SBTd+H1TztCHVYMw.jpg
    SyBFQ7SBTd+H1TztCHVYMw.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 57
  • jbvMtAJjRZaKFyu0rIQi1A.jpg
    jbvMtAJjRZaKFyu0rIQi1A.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 44

cloakerpoked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. It won’t be the most efficient but sometimes form is more important than function. You definitely found a way to make it clean looking

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to say the double 90 degree going to the reactor manifold is going to 45 degrees that should make it a little better but other than that I don't think I could have done any better with the room I had to work with.

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to say the double 90 degree going to the reactor manifold is going to 45 degrees that should make it a little better but other than that I don't think I could have done any better with the room I had to work with.
Forget the last plumbing I didn't like it and it didn't really work.

OP
OP
Spdjnky

Spdjnky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx just running a bleach solution through the system now to sterilize. Have a new overflow cover coming to replace the original that did not have a cover As you can see the one that came with the tank did not have a cover and did not come up to the top. The new one will and have a cover so algae won't grow in it

IMG_4207.JPG

Attachments

• jx5BdbXiQe+V0Y9BT4hQKg.MOV
    30.2 MB

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 24.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back