Suggestions for return pump and flow in 75g?

miltonkl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up a 40 gallon AIO back in november and am already planning to upgrade. I picked up a standard aqueon 75 gallon tank and a 1200gph modular marine overflow over the weekend. Trying to plan out my plumbing and flow needs for this tank but have never had a sump or a 4 foot tank. Any suggestions on a return pump and what I should look for in powerheads? I'm leaning towards either the Sicce Silent return pump (either 2x 2.0 or a single 3.0 or 4.0) or a DC amazon option. I'm planning to put overflow in the middle and two returns--one on either side, which I figure will either plumb one return to each return or one return that will see a fair amount of gph loss due to the rise and splits and stuff in this configuration.

For wave maker needs, I have a Nero 3 (up to 2000gph) on my current system running at like 25% max, so I figure that'll transfer over well and just be able to turned up. I also have a 132-660 gph DC jebao wavemaker I had picked up prior to getting the Nero 3 in a trade. Would these two likely be enough? Is this size tank sufficient that I should be considering a lower end gyre style pump? I anticipate a pretty health mix of coral types long term, but definitely liking various LPS the most right now but haven't yet dipped my toe into SPS besides one browned out acropora I'm trying to nurse back but expect I'll want several acros and some monti caps.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
i recommend you do the 2 returns going off a T from one return pump rather than 2 returns unless you get DC returns.. bit of a hassle to tune multiple pumps to the gph of your overflow even with ball valves. that being said, get a return that is rated higher than your overflow so you have some wiggle room due to the elbows and other fittings that may reduce flow, and obviously pair it with a ball valve to tune it further.

as for wave pumps, i believe your current setup would suffice up until you delve more into the SPS world.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you are going to address your internal flow with powerhead i don't really see a significant advantage to using two returns from a single pump. In a 4 ft tank assuming 4x - 7x turn over which is by far enough IMO one return will more than do the job and simplify things. If you are feeling very strongly about redundancy two return pumps would justify two returns, but with the pump you are thinking about using it's cheap enough just to keep a spare on hand and call it good enough. My advice is to NOT oversize your drain sizes and if it's not too late 1" drains would suffice if the over flow is a bean style which most are from that company. You'll never get a full siphon with anything larger without choking the heck out of it.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two returns is fine. If you want your overflow in the middle, then I would probably put a return on each side of it.

On the powerheads:
Gyres do a different thing than typical wavemakers. They push a sheet of water. They move a ton of water, but not everyone likes them. If you like the Nero 3, then another would work well. You can always just start with what you have and add more powerheads as needed.
i would use an eheim 1262
Ol' reliable. I'd use that one too.

OP
OP
miltonkl

miltonkl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you are going to address your internal flow with powerhead i don't really see a significant advantage to using two returns from a single pump. In a 4 ft tank assuming 4x - 7x turn over which is by far enough IMO one return will more than do the job and simplify things. If you are feeling very strongly about redundancy two return pumps would justify two returns, but with the pump you are thinking about using it's cheap enough just to keep a spare on hand and call it good enough. My advice is to NOT oversize your drain sizes and if it's not too late 1" drains would suffice if the over flow is a bean style which most are from that company. You'll never get a full siphon with anything larger without choking the heck out of it.
I got the modular marine 1200gph which should allow for more turnover than I need. It comes as a bean animal with 3/4" drains I believe, so I had been planning to do 3/4" returns too and just keep everything consistent since I don't know enough about plumbing to do different. I believe my sump has 1" bulkheads though so I'll either need to see if they can be swapped or at some point the drains would need to get bigger.

I'm wanting two returns most for symmetrical aesthetics--overflow in the middle and a return on either side. 2 pumps is the thought for redundancy purposes, but I'm comfortable with one.

Thanks everyone for the input!

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the modular marine 1200gph which should allow for more turnover than I need. It comes as a bean animal with 3/4" drains I believe, so I had been planning to do 3/4" returns too and just keep everything consistent since I don't know enough about plumbing to do different. I believe my sump has 1" bulkheads though so I'll either need to see if they can be swapped or at some point the drains would need to get bigger.

I'm wanting two returns most for symmetrical aesthetics--overflow in the middle and a return on either side. 2 pumps is the thought for redundancy purposes, but I'm comfortable with one.

Thanks everyone for the input!
that should work

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back