Suggestions? My Refugium Sucks

Nickcdll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had it for about half a year. I had cheato in it for awhile, but it didn't last. In there are amphipods and two snails. I have about 2 inches of that mud that you can get, and some gravel on top of that. I also have a led light on it that i can set the color and intensity of,
which i've basically been messing with because i'm not sure what is best. I'm not sure at this point if i should take it off or rehab it

IMG_20190118_023123593.jpg

galantra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some questions:

Watt of light?
Couldn’t grow any macro algae?
What’s in your main tank? Live stock?

With your refugium and not growing anything I would look at is the light killing plant life? Or you don’t have anything to feed it

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditch the light if you cant tune it in to about 6500k. Go to home depot and get clip on light for about 8 bucks and a 6500k cfl light for another 8 bucks and get some chaeto and or what ever algae you please. Enjoy

Xandernfs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go to HD and find a 6500k bulb or a grow light from amazon. There are A LOT of different styles of lights on amazon that would suit your needs. That would be a good starting point.

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shop lamp and CFL bulb for the win, garranted to grow chaeto. I had an 18w freshwater 6500k LED on my fuge for a little while and it grew chaeto but it was lighter in color and thinner. That LED died, cheap china crap, and I went back to the CFL. Growth is thicker and darker and just as fast. What is your no3 and po4 at? If these are really low and you display does not get any algae or even green film on the glass every few days then there may not be enough nutrients to grow macro algae. IME nothing special is needed to grow macros and you should not need to dose anything for macros.

OP
OP
Nickcdll

Nickcdll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it has a color wheel that i can,i guess point to on the app, and a white intensity...oh and a brightness....which to me is confusing. the turbo snail i put in is happy so far. is there anything other than that i can put in there? And all this time i've been wondering, is that mud at the bottom any good....was that a good idea?

cbellm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look at your water parameters as well, How old is your tank? The Refugium is often used to transport nitrate and phosphate if your tank has a reading of 0 in both then don't be surprised if you are not growing macroalgae and only hair or cyano which are much more simple and can out compete the more complex species

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm definitely going to go get that kent iron supplement and some new cheato this week. I wish there was some colorful thing i could put in there
Stay away from iron supplement. Its not needed and can kill fish such as tangs if added improperly. Just get the proper spectrum of light. That is what is needed.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your light has 7 watts according to the AL web site. This is not enough to grow plants like you want. If you have the money you can get something like the viparspectra 300w grow light. This light will produce over 100 watts and is way more than enough to make your plants grow. Hang it at least 12 inches over your tank no closer.

I'm definitely going to go get that kent iron supplement and some new cheato this week. I wish there was some colorful thing i could put in there
I would try to put some other macro plants in the fuge. Reds are colorful Botryocladia, Gracilaria, Gracilaria hayi
If you want a lot of quick growing stuff that floats on the top Ulva is a good choice

For other sea life (if you are brave) you can find a piece of live rock that has actually been in the ocean (avail on line) It will come with a whole bunch of critters.

Last edited:

DesertReefT4r

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the reef mud for a while many years back. Waste of money imo since I never saw a difference when using it. Get a stronger light and let us know what your no3 and po4 are. You dont need to dose iron, if you do water changes you will not be low and trace elements. Dont dose what you dont test.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back