Suitable predators for a nano

seefour5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’ve kept reef tanks before but have little to no knowledge on predatory fish. I’m interested in keeping some kind of predatory fish, like a wasp fish or frog fish but like I said have no idea what would be good for a 10 gallon tank, or if there is anything at all. Any fish you all would recommend? Thanks!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's nothing that I would recommend for a 10g. If you want to learn about caring for predatory fish, click my name and '"find all threads". Here's one to get you started:

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There’s definitely some inverts or small fish that could work. It depends on what you view as a predator. A species only tank with a small reef lobster could work or another invert. Some small species of non-reef safe wrasses or angels could work too.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s definitely some inverts or small fish that could work. It depends on what you view as a predator. A species only tank with a small reef lobster could work or another invert. Some small species of non-reef safe wrasses or angels could work too.
What angel would you put in a 10 gallon?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m talking about a dwarf angel the ones that stay around or under 3 inches. Like a flame angel. I know the tank size is recommended to be bigger but in terms of size the small guys are often kept in nanos.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m talking about a dwarf angel the ones that stay around or under 3 inches. Like a flame angel. I know the tank size is recommended to be bigger but in terms of size the small guys are often kept in nanos.
I hope not...that's a little bit excessively small considering a typical recommendation is like 70 or 80 gallons. Im sure there are people who do that though.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hope not...that's a little bit excessively small considering a typical recommendation is like 70 or 80 gallons. Im sure there are people who do that though.
I know it is. But people still keep them they are a tiny fish to me. I know there’s various factors that are going to depend on it tank size, activity, etc.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it is. But people still keep them they are a tiny fish to me. I know there’s various factors that are going to depend on it tank size, activity, etc.
Those factors are how they calculated about 70 or 80 gallons. I didn't think seeing an eagle ray being kept and advertised for sale in a styrofoam box at a shop one time either though... probably just difference of opinion

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not do a lobster at all, grow fast and get huge for a 10 gallon. Most lobsters need at least 100 gallons
Please dont put a dwarf angel in a 10 gallon, 30 is the smallest and I say that losely as anything bigger than a cherub should go in at least 60 in my opinion. They need a mature tank with lots of rocks to pick at.

For a 10 gallon really only option are gobies

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would not do a lobster at all, grow fast and get huge for a 10 gallon. Most lobsters need at least 100 gallons

Please dont put a dwarf angel in a 10 gallon, 30 is the smallest and I say that losely as anything bigger than a cherub should go in at least 60 in my opinion. They need a mature tank with lots of rocks to pick at.

For a 10 gallon really only option are gobies
I had a purple reef lobster in a small nano which sadly crashed but he was about an inch. You’ll never seen them though lol. They are the most anti-social and nocturnal creatures ever I learned and stay small. And yes I know there options are limited. They could also do dwarf seahorses or some other cool small critters or species only tanks. Longterm yes options are limited but I don’t see an issue keeping a very tiny dwarf angel or small predatory invert in one.

Last edited:

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh there is one I forgot about, the coral groucher. There are a few different varieties that do become available. They can be called gobies, but they are members of the scorpionfish family. They do have specialized care and many of the points I make about other members of the scorp family does apply. Even divers den will get these and so times even bonded pairs.

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B
Hi, I’ve kept reef tanks before but have little to no knowledge on predatory fish. I’m interested in keeping some kind of predatory fish, like a wasp fish or frog fish but like I said have no idea what would be good for a 10 gallon tank, or if there is anything at all. Any fish you all would recommend? Thanks!
Blue ringed octopus

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's nothing that I would recommend for a 10g. If you want to learn about caring for predatory fish, click my name and '"find all threads". Here's one to get you started:
I agree with Lion King. I wouldn't recommend ANY predator for a 10g. Sorry.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back