Sulfur Denitrator

RichardinTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you who use sulfur denitrators, how long did it take for your bacteria to establish sufficiently to get zero out of your effluent at a reasonable rate (more than just a drop or two per second)? Are you using a recirculating reactor or simple pass-through? And, what were you able to reduce your nitrate from?

OP
OP
RichardinTN

RichardinTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do a R2R “search” where I documented my experience with my sulfur BioDenitrator. All I can say is, “Uggg!”
I just read it. My tank nitrate is around 50ppm. I’ve only been running the reactor for a couple weeks. If I am at a drop per second I am seeing effluent around 10ppm but as soon as I increase it I erase the drop. I am mainly concerned about if I am using the wrong sulfur media or if I’m not using enough (currently about 1.5 liter). Without going into a lengthy explanation, carbon dosing is not an option for me.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2. It took 2 months to get them full established. These reactors have a maximum flow rate through them based on how much media is in them.

Final recommended flow through your reactor should be 3-4 liters per hour per liter of sulfur media as long as the effluent reads zero nitrates.

Both of mine are recirculating fed from a manifold. In one the media plugged up tight and I had to restart it. They brought the level down from 50 to 5 in 400 gallons. Each of mine holds about 4 liters of sulfur.
One is an Aquamaxx TS-2 and the other I made myself.

So one of mine will do 3 liters/hr x 4 liters media = 12 liters/ hr
x 24 = 288 liters/day = 76 gallons a day
I reasoned this to have the same effect on nitrates as a 20% water change daily.
Then I made a second one. I could probably get by with one now.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad that 'someone' is finding some success. My status-- one (1) expensive sulfur BioDenitrator offline (when the Tom's Aqualifter pump tubing-line got clogged, and that was the last straw); one (1) second unit never hooked up to my other 150 gallon tank, due to the frustrations of the first tank, and one (1) (third) "spare" unit still unopened in the box. :eek:

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes patience, testing the effluent and measuring it's volume. I found a great deal more could be passed by a 1/4 inch tube than the reactor can actually process. If the sulfur bed gets too much oxygen it dosen't work. I just use an API test kit. It tells you if none is coming out or reads a large amount that is actually nitrites meaning you need to turn down the flow.
I did the math an marked a cup with gallon per day amounts measured by collecting the output for 30 seconds.
I mounted a RO/DI filter cannister with a cheap sediment filter on the input line to keep mine from clogging up. I have to change it once a month.

I found if judging by eye I was swamping the reactor by putting to much water through it.

My reactors are medium sized and the sweet spot seems to be passing 40-60 gallons a day through them.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are some good suggestions. One day I'll try again when I get more time and patience.

The long-and-short of my problem was that after a very long time (weeks and weeks), and after getting the effluent down from 160+ Nitrates to an amazing 5 ppm, when I tried to open the flow up beyond 1-3 drops per second (to try and make a dent in a 150-gallon tank and 20-gallon sump) the Nitrates shot right back up to 160+ ppm.

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are some good suggestions. One day I'll try again when I get more time and patience.

The long-and-short of my problem was that after a very long time (weeks and weeks), and after getting the effluent down from 160+ Nitrates to an amazing 5 ppm, when I tried to open the flow up beyond 1-3 drops per second (to try and make a dent in a 150-gallon tank and 20-gallon sump) the Nitrates shot right back up to 160+ ppm.
Well they work but they don't do anything quickly and you can crash the thing by making a mistake like getting air in it doing something or turning the flow up too much. You would be surprised what 40 gallons a day looks like coming out of a tube. It's just a relentless trickle.
Once it starts you have to turn the flow up VERY slowly over 2-4 weeks or so. That is when the testing and measuring become critical. Go to much and you have to start over with 1-2 drops a second.
I can see where this wouldn't be for everyone.

If it's running and you turn it way down the bacteria die and plug the thing up with a grey sludge. Then you take it all apart and wash everything and start over.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad that 'someone' is finding some success. My status-- one (1) expensive sulfur BioDenitrator offline (when the Tom's Aqualifter pump tubing-line got clogged, and that was the last straw); one (1) second unit never hooked up to my other 150 gallon tank, due to the frustrations of the first tank, and one (1) (third) "spare" unit still unopened in the box. :eek:
Yep I tried that airlifter and it did not work. I put a small return pump with 2 "T's" so that it sends water to a valve on my sulfur reactor which then feed my aragonite reactor to correct ph and dumps drips into sump. The second "T" sends water to my air Exhange tower and my phosban reactor which both have a valve on them, so all of the excess water flow goes to my air exchange tower. which also both dump into my sump.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back